Bier-Kwik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlereloader

Reaction score
My father in-law from Germany sent me a Bier-Kwik set, I think it is the German Mr. Beer. There is only one problem, it has instructions but no recipe, it has a can of concentrate but does not say how much to use or how much sugar to use or how long to ferment. Any help would help.

The can says:
Bierwurze-Konzentrat
Zur Herstellung von dunklen und Alt-Bieren mit Hopfen
Fullmenge: 1000g
Zutaten: Gerstenmalz, Wasser
Mindestens haltbar bis: 01.08.2012
Kuhl und trocken lagern

ORIGINAL = Babelfish translation = actual translation (useful translation)

Bierwurze-Konzentrat = Bierwurze concentrate = Beer Wort Concentrate (i.e. MALT EXTRACT)

Zur Herstellung von dunklen und Alt-Bieren mit Hopfen = To the production of dark and old beers with hop = For making aged dark beers with hops added (i.e. HOPPED DARK extract)

Fullmenge: 1000g = Total Quantity: 1000g = Net Weight: 1000g = 35.27 fluid oz.

Zutaten: Gerstenmalz, Wasser = Added: Barley malt, water = Ingredients: Barley Malt, Water

Mindestens haltbar bis: 01.08.2012 = At least durable to: 01.08.2012 = Use By/Expiration Date: January 08, 2012

Kuhl und trocken lagern = Kuhl and drying store = For cool aging (i.e. for lagers)

So basically, you got a can of pre-hopped dark malt extract meant for a lager. If it didn't include it, pick up a packet/vial of lager yeast. Boil the extract for 60min. with enough water to fill the unit with a little headspace left. Cool to the temperature specified on the yeast, toss it in and wait until fermentation completes. From the last comment, I suspect that a secondary ferment or extended bottle aging (in cool lager temps) is a good idea.

If there are other documents with your unit, the Babelfish website is a great translation resource.

I interpreted "Kuhl und trocken lagern" as "Store in a cool, dry place"

A kit like that probably has an ale yeast in it.

Ok thanks, from the instructions that cam with the bucket, it sounded like I had to put sugar in it to start the fermentation but it says the amount would be in the recipe

Back