Guinness Foreign Extra Now Available in the US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Like the title says, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is now available in the US. This 7.5% ABV beer is completely unlike their draft. Molasses, licorice, roasted barley, and sweet malt are backed by a strong bitterness. Smooth, yet with a decent bite. Definitely try this stuff if you can find it. :mug:

Yes, this is quite awesome! I tried it for the first time while I was in Sweden about 7 years ago. They only sold it in bombers at the vinmonopolet. Imagine my disappointment when I could not find it in the US! I was very excited about it's introduction to the US so I bought some last weekend at the local brew shop....scored a 4-pack of 11.2 oz for maybe $9 or so. It's my favorite of all the Guinness incarnations...

Thats great I've been wanting to try it for a while. I wonder how close it is to their Guinness Extra Stout.

Primary- Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale
Primary- Zeus IPA
Kegged- Sorachi Ace Pilsner
Kegged- 10 Gal Black IPA
Bottled- Berliner Weisse
Next batches- 10 Gal Oatmeal Stout, Kolsch

This stuff is awesome, I killed about a case of it this summer on our week vacation in St. Maarten... it takes everything abotu Guinness and takes it up about 4 notches. Roasty, sweet, and a surprising bitter bite... it is destructively refreshing on a hot day, believe it or not. I never thought I'd think of an Extra Stout as a "lawnmower beer", but this is it...

It's in the Western Washington bottle shops. Is it available in kegs anywhere? I'd like to try it on draught or even nitro.

Definitely tastes nice.

The only Guiness Extra we get here is brewed in Nigeria using Sorghum :(
I recently found some of the real deal - very nice beer. Im not sure why Guiness comprimises their beer using Sorghum.

Thats great I've been wanting to try it for a while. I wonder how close it is to their Guinness Extra Stout.

Primary- Wet Hop Citra Pale Ale
Primary- Zeus IPA
Kegged- Sorachi Ace Pilsner
Kegged- 10 Gal Black IPA
Bottled- Berliner Weisse
Next batches- 10 Gal Oatmeal Stout, Kolsch

Extra is the bottle strength version of draught eg slightly stronger and more carbonation. Export is substantially different.

$10 a 4 pack means i'll probably never buy again, if it was $10 a 6 pack i'd buy it all the time.

That doesn't make any sense at all. It's good enough to buy @ $10 a sixer "all the time", but not good enough to spend the extra 83 cents a bottle that $10 a 4-pack comes out to? Am I reading you right?

If you think all beer should be $15 for a 30-pack of cans, fine, but your statement doesn't make any sense...

37178_451922324066_620469066_5445025_2008066_n.jpg

It's 10 bucks for a 4 pack in Detroit. Drinking it now. Not really sure how I feel about it yet. I will say it is intense.

I liked it a lot when I first tried it, but now after a few cases I'm back to liking the the extra stout the best. That is unless you count the Draught in the sky bar. It's so fresh you can actually taste the hops instead of just a bitterness from them.

That doesn't make any sense at all. It's good enough to buy @ $10 a sixer "all the time", but not good enough to spend the extra 83 cents a bottle that $10 a 4-pack comes out to? Am I reading you right?

If you think all beer should be $15 for a 30-pack of cans, fine, but your statement doesn't make any sense...

I think my statement makes perfect sense. In my opinion $10 a 4 pack is to steep for this beer but if it was $10 a 6 pack it would be fine.

Bump

Picked up a four pack (8.99).

More hop bitterness than I expected to be present with tons of dark burnt flavors and burned sugar flavor. Not as dark as I expected with a lot more carbonation than expected as well. No acidic twang or strong roast flavors eithers.

Overall I think I like the Extra Stout version more than the Foreign at this point. I might save a bottle and try blending the two to see what I get out of it.

Back