plate chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrythe9th

Reaction score
I just bought 2 20 plate SS exchangers, I was thinking of running them in series. Or for the plate chiller uses, will one do for 15gal batches.
right now I use a 30ft 1/2 copper IC with whirl pool and can cool in 25min or so (depends on water temp)

I was thinking kettle- pump- plate chiller-plate chiller-IC chiller return,, but was also thinking about putting in a dedicated whirlpool return to the kettle and forgo the IC chiller

Just use one of them, it should work just fine if you recirculate with a pump and have decently cold ground water. Just remember to send the hose in the opposite direction of the wort!

I have a 20 plate and a 15 plate and run them in series. When my tap water is cool I run the cooling water in series as well, but in the summer or if I'm making a lager and my tap water is above 50 I'll pump ice water through the 15 plate chiller.

Works great for me. I like being able to pump the wort at full flow all the time, which I couldn't do with my CFC which was a major flow restriction.

Latest posts

Back