oxidized beer flavor ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a small amount, it can have a bit of metallic flavor. In competitions, I've also tasted some early oxidation be more of a bitter taste along the sides of my tongue. I've never had one taste of wet cardboard, but sometimes I've noticed some "sherry" like notes in oxidized beer.

"Wet cardboard" is such a subjective flavor. Best thing to do is to purposely oxidize a beer that wasn't before, and taste the results.

Does taste like wet cardboard smells. Willl the taste go away as it ages?

Generally, no. Generally, it'll get worse as it ages. Oxidation doesn't improve with age, but worsens with time. If I have a beer with early signs of potential oxidation, it's time to drink it up!

Does taste like wet cardboard smells. Willl the taste go away as it ages?

Go to your local beer or liquor/beer store. Pick out the oldest looking bottle of some Belgain or German beer you can find. One way in the back that nobody buys. I will guarantee you it will be oxidized. Hell, you can barely even buy Orval that isn't terribly oxidized around here. That, or shake the crap out of one of your bottles before you cap it. Let it sit for 2 months, and you will have an oxidized beer.

To me, oxidation is to a degree that wet cardboardy flavor. It also kind of mutes malt flavors and makes the whole beer taste kind of flat. You really have to taste it, then it clicks.

Latest posts

Back