Water adjustment crit please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottnme

Reaction score
I'm just getting into starting to play with water chemistry and this will be my first attempt. I'm hoping someone with more experience than I would be willing to check my numbers for me.

I'm going to be brewing an all grain dry stout 5.25 gallon batch. Mash is to be 13.5qt and sparge to be 9.75qt.

My water is from a well with profile as follows:

Ca = 95
Mg = 50
Na = 86
SO4 = 9
HCO3 = 451

I originally though I'd like to try to get close to Dublin's profile but my Cloride/Sulfate is so out of whack that I'm a afraid to attempt adjusting that for on my first go round so I thought this time around I'd just shoot for the balanced range.

Per the EZ Water calc by -TH- it looks like if I add 3 grams of gypsum to the mash and 2.2 to the sparge I should be good to go.

My concerns are, what this will do to pH and how much addition is too much befor I start getting funky flavors.

What is your Cl concentration?

Your alkalinity is good for a stout, but your magnesium is a little too high and your sulfate is a little low. You'll probably want to dilute your water with 50% distilled water to get the magnesium down below 30ppm.

Then you'll want to add gypsum to get your sulfate where you want it. Be careful to not have too much sodium and sulfate (see my signature). I usually try to not let my calcium get above about 110ppm, but you'll probably be safe up to 150. Then add chalk to get your calcium up to about 100ppm. After that, add baking soda to get your residual alkalinity as CaCO3 to about 200ppm.

If I knew your Cl, I could give you exact numbers.

Back