Apfelwien tastes good, but not what i thought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bringitonhome

Reaction score
so, i tasted my apfelwein that i pitched on 1/4 today. It was good, but it didn't taste very "Apfel-y" at all. In fact, it tasted very much like a standard white wine. A sauvingon blanc, i'd say. I've never made my own wine, so i'm guessing the flavor all comes from the montrachet wine yeast.
BTW - i made the standard Ed Wort recipe, except i used table sugar instead of corn sugar.

do you guys find the same?

I've read a lot of folks report that the apple comes back out of it after a month or two in the bottle. Mine had a nice hint of apple in the white wine flavor right off the bat, but I only used 1 lb of sugar and used cote te blanc yeast so my experience might not be the same.

so, i tasted my apfelwein that i pitched on 1/4 today. It was good, but it didn't taste very "Apfel-y" at all.

My Thoughts as well

I've read a lot of folks report that the apple comes back out of it after a month or two in the bottle.

My Experience!
After tasting it at racking time it was very bland. Then 4 months later when I bottled it the apple definitely came back.
I have one bottle from that first batch still and plan on drinking it this weekend when an old college buddy comes down. It'll be ~1 year old this April.

I made mine with an ale yeast, it got to FG of 1.00. It taste like a chardonnay, but I can taste some apple in there. ALso the ale yeast seems like it left it a little sweet, not as dry as I had heard it would get.

I used carb drops in the bottles I carbonated. They worked pretty well. Maybe not as carbed as I might have liked, but they had bubbles.

Back