You do not want to let the nylon grain bags catch fire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
... and if they do, you do not want to beat the flames out with your bare hands.

I will agree. Flaming plastic on bare skin hurts. I was one of those kids that took a few life experience lessons before learning that one. And it is funny how panic can make you forget them rather quick-like

Hmm...Is this recommendation based on some sort of recent personal experience?
No, I was just sitting around looking at the birds and had the thought that, gee, I bet most home-brewers might be hoping to catch their nylon bags on fire and think it'd be fun wrap the flaming plastic tendrils around their palms, wrists, and fingers. I thought about and realized that'd probably be a bad idea and figured I should disabuse folks of the notion.

No, I was just sitting around looking at the birds and had the thought that, gee, I bet most home-brewers might be hoping to catch their nylon bags on fire and think it'd be fun wrap the flaming plastic tendrils around their palms, wrists, and fingers. I thought about and realized that'd probably be a bad idea and figured I should disabuse folks of the notion.

Actually I was giving you an opening to supply a little more detail. It sounded like there night be a humorous story there....

It's not a humorous story. It's just irritating. I had 4 oz. of 2-row left over for quite a while so I thought I'd practice mashing on a micro-level in a sauce pan and *nothing* went right. The mashing temperature ranged from 132- 185, the bag kept singing on the burner, my thermometer was slow to respond so that by the time I noticed it was creeping upward and I'd cut the heat it'd countinue to climb. Then and the very end as I'm mashing out the entire bag catches on fire I don't really have any means to put it out. Most land on my stove top which was fine; i just let it burn itself out. But a few flames, about to match sticks worth find their way to my counter and some paper towels soaked with olive oil. That's not good so I try to stamp and crush them out much as I would a matchstick but, of course the nylon has melted in pure fuel and the whole thing is burning hotter than I expected. I got it out but not before getting burning plastic across a few fingers. Very small area of burn but a bit intense. I have a very small blister but other wise unscathed. It was just an irritating end to a thouroughly irritating procedure.

woozy said:
It's not a humorous story. It's just irritating. I had 4 oz. of 2-row left over for quite a while so I thought I'd practice mashing on a micro-level in a sauce pan and *nothing* went right. The mashing temperature ranged from 132- 185, the bag kept singing on the burner, my thermometer was slow to respond so that by the time I noticed it was creeping upward and I'd cut the heat it'd countinue to climb. Then and the very end as I'm mashing out the entire bag catches on fire I don't really have any means to put it out. Most land on my stove top which was fine; i just let it burn itself out. But a few flames, about to match sticks worth find their way to my counter and some paper towels soaked with olive oil. That's not good so I try to stamp and crush them out much as I would a matchstick but, of course the nylon has melted in pure fuel and the whole thing is burning hotter than I expected. I got it out but not before getting burning plastic across a few fingers. Very small area of burn but a bit intense. I have a very small blister but other wise unscathed. It was just an irritating end to a thouroughly irritating procedure.

Ahhh. Hind sight. Mine was pouring boiling water into a barrel bung hole with a funnel. The displacement of expanding air when put into rapid contact with boiling water through a small opening results if blistered forearms and a rather wet outside of the barrel. I got gangsta brewer scars. Yo

I burnt 2 hop socks to the bottom of my kettle. About as far as I got to really burn anything. They burnt. But, no real danger, just panick.

Uhh dude try having the insulation on your kettle lid catch on fire and then grabbing a flaming piece of aluminum so hot that it actually warped with your bare hand. I second-degree burned my entire hand. I am surprised I still have fingerprints. There was no point in going to the doctor except maybe to get painkillers so I just got as hammered as I could that night until I passed out, because there was no way I was going to fall asleep on my own.

See! It's just irritating! I can't even get an good battle story out of it cause nothing serious came out of it. It was just... annoying.

although I hate to tell this I was moving my keggle off the burner to my beer stand and bumped bottom against leg. Instant burn but then, but then, then I set it down where it started to burn my carpet in garage. Then tilted it with one hand and stuck hand under to pick it up quickly. Needless to say hot stuff has a tendency to burn.

Fire = Hot. You think we would have realized that by now. I must admit that I do look rather silly when I put on my winter gloves to tip my kettles now that I have started driving that lesson home.

I had 4 oz. of 2-row left over for quite a while so I thought I'd practice mashing on a micro-level in a sauce pan and *nothing* went right.

Mashing 4 oz of grain? How bizarre?

Both nylon and polyester do not hold up well at all to direct heat, even with any of the fabric bag outside the kettle, heat should be applied very low and slow!!!

I just built a new stainless brew stand. My first brew was going a long quite well until I dropped something behind the stand. I cluelessly reached behind the stand and placed my left arm on the top of the stand, that had just been boiling wort for an hour. I burned my arm from my elbow to my wrist. It hurt like hell and I looked totally ridiculous.

Moral of the story - SS stays hot for a long time after you turn off you burner.

Mashing 4 oz of grain? How bizarre?

Both nylon and polyester do not hold up well at all to direct heat, even with any of the fabric bag outside the kettle, heat should be applied very low and slow!!!

Well, I had the grain lying about and I was making a gallon batch of extract so I thought it'd give a boost. I applied as low and slow as I could but 2 cups of water and 4 oz of grain are not anywhere near as stable as 3 gallons of water and grain.

Last weekend I caught the specialty grain bag melting on the edge of my pot and thought it would be bad if it fell onto the burner. So I tossed the whole thing into the pot since I transfer to a BK for the boil.

Back