beeswax flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
before I made a mead I tried a couple of commercial sweet meads. both of them were to sweet for my taste and had a very distinct beeswax flavor. Due to this I decided on a dry mead. when I transfered my dry mead to the secondary I tasted it knowing it would be green. I was surprised at the flavor. I dont like wine coolers, they are just down right nasty. but this mead tasted like the best wine cooler I have ever had. Although dry, it didn't have the sour bite that coolers have. I want to try making a slightly sweet mead but don't want the beeswax flavor. Are sweet meads supposed to taste like beeswax?

Sweet meads will taste like whatever the character of the honey is. So if the honey is raw and unfiltered, there's all kinds of things in the honey, like bits of beeswax, bee butts, bee larvae faces, things of that nature. There will also be some residual sweetness.

Back