Made a batch of mead...made a mistake with the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourcheese

Reaction score
Hey all. So I have always wanted to make my own mead when I found out about how its so easy to mix with everything. I enjoy cooking, and enjoy comming up with recipes so this was easily my next step.

I saw a very easy way of making mead on another websight where you use 1 gallon bottles of spring water, raisons, and yeast and 3 lbs honey and a ballone with holes over it on top of the mix for when the carbon dioxide is released.

I decided to make 2 of them to see how it would go. My honey was 12 oz clover honey and 5 lbs honey from a farm that has extensive apple orchards. I split the honey between the 2.

My first batch was raisons and cinnamon and the honey. the second was an orange and a very fresh vanilla bean. I pealed the vanilla bean and minced the bean itself and used that in the second.

I kept everything around 70 degrees and when I was ready to pore in my vial of http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp720.html.. and it pored to fast.

I was unprepared for the speed. over half of it went into my batch with vanilla and oranges, and less than 1/4 was left for my batch with raisons and cinnomin.

The vial states it is for 5 gallons. So... Im wondering if it just means my raison and cinnomin one will just take longer to fermant? or should I pick up more tomarrow and just place a little more in the mix?

I am apart of a mixed martial arts forum and I laid out step by step what I did with pictures.

THank you all!

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.frame&thread=1977641&page=1&ts=40995

1/4 of a tube of white labs should be more than enough to ferment a 1 gallon batch. I'd also be surprised if you saw any difference in the amount of time it takes for the 2 batches to ferment.

Back