Imperial Stout Rapture Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks solid. A friend suggested this and will be brewing it next week. I didn't see a water profile anywhere (assume Washington DC?), but might not be critical as we have pretty high carbonates here in St Pete and it works well for brewing RIS.

Looks solid. A friend suggested this and will be brewing it next week. I didn't see a water profile anywhere (assume Washington DC?), but might not be critical as we have pretty high carbonates here in St Pete and it works well for brewing RIS.

We have fairly hard water in DC. I run all my brewing water through a carbon filter and generally don't make additional water adjustments for dark/malty beers.

I have been a reader on these forums for a while and never created an account until today. I think this may be the big RIS recipe I have been looking for. Anyone played with adjuncts in this? I'm curious how well it would work out. I thought about splitting up a batch of this into 3 smaller batches after primary is finished. Maybe do one in the traditional manner, say 3gal or so. Then a gallon with some Vanilla and other stuff, and a gallon with coconut or something along those lines?

I have been a reader on these forums for a while and never created an account until today. I think this may be the big RIS recipe I have been looking for. Anyone played with adjuncts in this? I'm curious how well it would work out. I thought about splitting up a batch of this into 3 smaller batches after primary is finished. Maybe do one in the traditional manner, say 3gal or so. Then a gallon with some Vanilla and other stuff, and a gallon with coconut or something along those lines?

Welcome.

I've brewed this recipe with various tweaks 5 or 6 times now. I split batches with a few different post-fermentation treatments, mostly adding bourbons/rye, but I really enjoyed an iteration bottled with cab sav. Did one with cold brewed coffee that was quite good after about a year of aging, though pretty bitter when young. I've aged most batches on wood, usually oak cubes, but also tried some honeycomb wood staves (white ash was interesting, almost marshmallowy, cherry wood had an unfortunate ethyl acetate-like tannic quality that I didn't care for). I planned to do a Hunahpu treatment last year with a friend, but he ended up moving. Both vanilla and coconut sound great, good luck.

I brewed this last year pitching a huge starter and 2 vials of WLP 007. I was thinking about making this again pitching on a yeast cake of 1098 British ale which from an oatmeal stout currently fermenting. Anyone tried this or have an opinion? Some of the feedback I got from the competition I entered (scored 29 overall) was that perhaps it was under pitched

I brewed this last year pitching a huge starter and 2 vials of WLP 007. I was thinking about making this again pitching on a yeast cake of 1098 British ale which from an oatmeal stout currently fermenting. Anyone tried this or have an opinion? Some of the feedback I got from the competition I entered (scored 29 overall) was that perhaps it was under pitched

I've repitched onto cakes from lower gravity beers, though I usually take the slurry and leave the trub behind. I think a big healthy pitch of 1098 would do nicely as long as it can handle the gravity.

Back