that sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
er, the vacuum that is my carboy that is! :rolleyes:

sorry.

Um, anyways, I posted a query at the end of another post, but I have not gotten any feedback yet, so I made it a new thread. Sorry for the impatience...

So, I moved my carboy to my extra fridge to "cold crash" and hopefully drop the remaining yeast out of suspension, (see this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24230

The question is this. I realize the temp change was rather dramatic going from low 50's to low 40's. The carboy became a vacuum and sucked back on the airlock. It did not suck much if any water in, but it is staying down. This has happened to me before, and I was just wondering if I should bother doing anything to change that? Warm it up slightly?
Anyone explain why this happens? Yeast in shock and not working, thus no more c02?

Thanks

knights of Gambrinus said:
er, the vacuum that is my carboy that is! :rolleyes:

sorry.

Um, anyways, I posted a query at the end of another post, but I have not gotten any feedback yet, so I made it a new thread. Sorry for the impatience...

So, I moved my carboy to my extra fridge to "cold crash" and hopefully drop the remaining yeast out of suspension, (see this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24230

The question is this. I realize the temp change was rather dramatic going from low 50's to low 40's. The carboy became a vacuum and sucked back on the airlock. It did not suck much if any water in, but it is staying down. This has happened to me before, and I was just wondering if I should bother doing anything to change that? Warm it up slightly?
Anyone explain why this happens? Yeast in shock and not working, thus no more c02?

Thanks

When you cool, things get smaller; they condense. When you warm them up they expand. So if you have an airtight container and everything gets smaller it creates a vacuum.
This is the same reason you have to adjust your tires with extreme weather

Warming it up means you'll just have to cool it down again.

My guess is that the pressure has equalized already. Might pop the top slightly and releave the pressure further. THe yeast should still be just active enough to produce enought CO2 to form a blanket over the brew.

Just make sure there isn't a lot of air movement in your room when you "bleed" the air lock. You don't want the vacuum to suck in the fried fish being cooked for dinner.

Mmmmmm...fried fish....

Yes, I understand the vacuum action. I guess what I did not understand was that I believed the yeast was still producing c02 albeit minimally at this point. So, I thought that would eventually counteract the vacuum.

I will take it out of the fridge before "bleeding" it. No fish fryin' here, but I am sure the fridge has all kinds of micro critters just waitin' to jump in for a swim.

Castle Meadow Brewery said:
Don't do anything. I don't see the problem here. There's no water coming in and nothing coming out. No harm, No foul right?:ban:

The pressure will eventually equalize, especially when co2 is drawn out of solution, and like the man here says, don't worry about it.

Back