Top Secret Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even Janet's Brown. No one will pay for a recipe unless they are morons.

:confused:

I dont think you got my point...

Pliny the Younger is one of the most secretive beers out there. From its recipe, to its release date, to when the few select pubs will get there ONE keg shipment a year... It is also one of the best IIPA's ever created (ask anyone who has been lucky enough to try it) The Owner of Russian River has stated on many occasions that he will not be releasing this recepie or any clues to how its brewed.

If you think that "Russian River Brewing" are morons than you need to take a LONG look in the mirror. Sometimes its better not to call people out when indeed you are wrong.

Pliny the Younger is one of the most secretive beers out there. From its recipe, to its release date, to when the few select pubs will get there ONE keg shipment a year... It is also one of the best IIPA's ever created (ask anyone who has been lucky enough to try it) The Owner of Russian River has stated on many occasions that he will not be releasing this recepie or any clues to how its brewed.

If you think that "Russian River Brewing" are morons than you need to take a LONG look in the mirror. Sometimes its better not to call people out when indeed you are wrong.

Had it. Overrated. :mug:

Had it. Overrated. :mug:

Not the point i was makeing but...

Where did you get it, From the brewery? What year? Just curious because last year was not as good as this years. When it was sold in growlers on e-bay the beer had lost flavor and aroma. The only way to get the REAL taste of the beer is from the brewery itself. I didnt think they shipped to PA...

It's very good but it's hyped beyond belief.

I agree that its hyped a bit much. To most that try PTY at the RR brewpub they love it. It seems to be working for them...
But wait, Vinny (the owner of Russian River) must be one of those intelligent morons...

Joe, I don't think you're getting HIS point.
He made a dumb comment. Now, he's not interested in anybody showing him he made a mistake. He's only interested in "winning" the argument.

I'm surprised he didn't tell you he was talking about "top secret brews, not IIPAs"...

The first rule about keeping top secret brews top secret is do not talk about top secret brews.

The yeast is "hidden" because I'm using scrapings from a material sample, not bugs in amber, that was very likely to have wild yeast trapped within. As time goes by that's looking to be the case.

Plan is to culture enough to pitch and hopefully it'll make some good beer. Going to make some simple extract "control batches".

The yeast is "hidden" because I'm using scrapings from a material sample, not bugs in amber, that was very likely to have wild yeast trapped within. As time goes by that's looking to be the case.

Plan is to culture enough to pitch and hopefully it'll make some good beer. Going to make some simple extract "control batches".

So... are you gonna tell us what you're doing or are you going to continue beating around the bush?

Beating around the bush 'til I know for certain it worked. It's off to the brew store tomorrow to get more DME for a bigger culture.

Please don't take my Zymurgistic Park joke personally. Just having fun. :mug:

I'm interested in what you've got in mind. Please keep us posted, and good luck!

Which is arrogant on his part as most professional brewers with an understanding of recipe formulation can make a beer to taste just like it if they wanted to.

I've been around commercial brewing longer than most anyone at RRB.
Joe, I don't think you're getting HIS point.
He made a dumb comment. Now, he's not interested in anybody showing him he made a mistake. He's only interested in "winning" the argument.

I'm surprised he didn't tell you he was talking about "top secret brews, not IIPAs"...
I made no mistake. People that think their recipe is worth money are only fooling themselves.
Yeah there's no soda or wine sections on this site. Oh wait.....
You mean on this beer site?

Looking back to all the threads that you have participated in, it seems that you like to stir the pot with nothing good to say. You have already shut down one tread with your meaningless nonsense. You are by definition a troll. Enjoy life being the only person who knows everything about everything.

When you harvest wild yeast, that's a lambic right? Or have I mixed something up.

And for the record every brew I make is a secret. Mainly because no one seems to care how I made it so far. :)

When you harvest wild yeast, that's a lambic right? Or have I mixed something up.

And for the record every brew I make is a secret. Mainly because no one seems to care how I made it so far. :)

It could be a lambic, if you capture the right yeast...or you could end up with malt vinegar. Typically homebrewers either buy the right strains from yeast seller, or culture the dregs from store bought bottles. There have been people on this board who have tried to capture wild yeast from the air, but without any lab equipment I'd think it would be a crap shoot as to what you'd end up with.

Sometimes its better not to call people out when indeed you are wrong.

I didnt think they shipped to PA...

How could you not know it went to Philadelphia, PA? Philly has always got Younger:

Following are the markets to which we will send Younger (same as last year):

San Francisco
East Bay
North Bay
Southern California
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Colorado
Philadelphia, PA

How could you not know it went to Philadelphia, PA? Philly has always got Younger:

I wasn't even going to respond to his PA comment and the fact that he already busted on someone else for being wrong. You did it for me. Thanks.:)

Yeast resurrection may have been achieved! So whilst fidgeting with my brew and whipping up some new wort, I separated the previous starter. Just in the event active yeast ends up in one or both flasks.

While there isn't anything going on in one flask, the other is showing signs of something happening. Namely those little tiny bubbles you get going as yeast gets moving in a normal starter. That flask didn't get as much aeration as the first. So I'm staying optimistic that it's not air coming out of solution, considering the first flask has absolutely nothing happening in it.

Flask two also got a more liberal dash of the initial wort solution. It's only as of this morning that the bubbles began to rise also. The activity has remained steady.

I am now confident that I have succeeded in reviving yeast! A very noticeable increase in activity. In fact one of the air locks just bubbled! A little bubble, but a bubble none the less. So pressure has built up.

On closer inspection there is very steady bubbling at a rather good pace. I'm going to need a bigger container. I plan to keep one of the cultures growing while the other goes into the "control beer".

It's alive!!!! Mbwahahahahahaha...:D:D:D

Congratulations Dr Frankenstein!

Anyways, some time ago, I read a thread in here about culturing yeast, mixing it with glycerin, and freezing it for the future. Maybe you can find it.:mug:

Thanks for that. I'll definitely have to look into long term storage methods if it turns out to be drinkable. I plan on experimenting with it if that's the case. So I'll have plenty built up I'll need to store.

Find it's alcohol tolerance, how it goes about it's fermenting, that sort of thing. Brewing simple "control beers" with the same extracts so there's fewer variables than mashing.

Heck if it turns out really good, it might just be my "signature yeast". lol Nothing like making beer with yeast you brought back from the dead.

Yes, I've recently come into some mosquitoes preserved in amber, I'm hoping to harvest some pre-historic yeast, clone the yeast, and make a huge yeast theme park on a large island. People will be able to ride through the park in cars on a track, seeing all the yeasties and how they would have lived in their natural habitat over 300 million years ago...what could go wrong?

This made me seriously laugh at my desk. Well done.

Please don't take my Zymurgistic Park joke personally. Just having fun. :mug:

I'm interested in what you've got in mind. Please keep us posted, and good luck!

No one is that thin skinned, the "Welcome....to YEASTY PARK" was AWESOME!

Do they only make girl yeasts?;)

I chuckled too, just forgot to mention it. lol Heck, a Jurassic Park joke is quite fitting when talking about brining something old back to life.

There is that Fossil Fuels Brewing that has dino yeast. Guy cultured it from a 45 million year old weevil encased in amber.

Your yeast was not dead.:confused: . . . . . .Just . . . "hidden" . . . and . . . ."secret".:D

Ahem......Ok, let me put it a little plainer.

Yeast is only harvested from the GIRL weevils........in their "hidden" or "secret" place. Otherwise known as their "Naughties".

So, you may have a point. "Naughty Yeast" sounds cooler

Sheesh, now everyone has secret hidden yeast.:D Ah well, I guess it's not a secret anymore, on to the next mission.:rockin:

I have Double Secret Yeast ;)

(FOOD FIGHT!) :drunk:

-Jason

images

I have a secret secret recipe that I will be working on. I saw a brief image of what looked like pumpkin cake with bananas on top. So I think that it might be good to try and make a Pumpkin Hefe with lots of banana flavor.

But don't tell anyone, I want to make a fortune with it!

How about a Hefe with chocolate and pb? mmmmmmm?:ban:

Back