Fermentation Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitekb

Reaction score
My recipe calls for fermenting between 7 to 14 days. Due to my schedule, I will either be able to bottle 10 days into the fermenting process or 16 days in. Which would you recommend? How will fermenting for over 14 days affect the beer?

Too late is better than too soon. In fact, you'll probably make a better beer by not rushing it and allowing the yeast to condition the beer after fermentation of the sugars (which will stop on its own accord). Regardless, you can't just decide to bottle at a given time. Depending on the recipe, yeast, environment, etc... your fermentation may finish much quicker or later than anticipated. You're on the yeast's schedule... not the other way around :) Make sure to use your hydrometer to make sure the SG stops dropping for the days preceding bottling.

I'd go for 16 days. This will give the yeast a little more time to clean up after themselves and also will allow time for more settling to occur in the fermenter which will clear up your beer.

Good things come to those who wait :D

Make sure to use your hydrometer to make sure the SG stops dropping for the days preceding bottling.

Good point. Especially don't rely on the airlock to tell you when fermentation has completed. Measure and taste.

Back