Beersmith: Brewhouse efficiency greyed out / disabled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonacel

Reaction score
I'm looking at a DFH 60 min. clone recipe I downloaded from somewhere and for whatever reason the brewhouse efficiency button and value is greyed out / disabled. Most of my other recipes are not like this (although I can find some that are). I thought it might be due to values already existing in the Measured OG and Measured FG fields, but after deleting them it's still greyed out. The efficiency is set to 60% and given that this will be my first batch, I have no idea of this is even close to my equipment / set up yet.

Any ideas? I searched around, but could not find anyone with the same issue. I should be able to export and send to someone if needed.

Thanks,
Mike

Yes it is an extract recipe. I just set up my equipment and I do not see any lockout feature.

You are absolutely correct. Changing it to something other than Extract will open this up. Since I'll be steeping specialty grains (Crystal 40), do I need to worry about efficiency at all or if it would alter the gravity of the steeped water before I add my DME?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - this is for my first batch.

No you don't need to worry about it for steeping grains. You will pretty much get the same potential every time from steeping grains and extract, which is why it's grayed out.

If you were doing a partial mash or AG it would be a different story.

Back