Infection or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlyBurrito

Reaction score
So i just transferred a pale ale into a secondary on Saturday. just wanted to know if these look like a infection or just co2 bubbles...?

p1010353f.jpg

p1010354w.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions that will help answer this.. :mug:

What did you use to clean the 2ndary with?

I've had stuff that looks like this from Eazy Clean... it leaves harmless (well supposedly ) crystal residue behind that can end up looking like this... possibly... I look for 'tendrills', if you look side-on do they look like jellyfish or something from the cover of a YES album? Or are they just on the surface?

They look like 'yeast rafts' to me. If you look really closely, are they a bunch of little bubbles that are all touching each other?

Unless you spit in it while you were racking it. Then it's an infection.

ok yeah, i used OneStep to clean it.. just trying to use the rest of what i have because i have other better stuff. yeah its only on the surface, and it looks like really really small bubbles.

Looks normal to me....just yeast rafts....yeast buoyed up to the surface from co2 rising out of the bottom...The most common new brewer "Is my beer infected?" syndrome. We get about a dozen threads like this a day...

It's called "noobitus."

:D

You wont know if your first batch is TRULY messed up until its run its gamut of brewing cycles. *Cough*3weeksinthebottleregardlessofwhatthehecktheprimarylookslike*Cough*

Chances are you are going to love this batch and look back on this and laugh. I am still amazed by things that I see happen to my beer, and Im a good very many batches in. To this day, my beer still does stuff I dont get or agree with. But it still all comes out yummy with some age.
-Me

You wont know if your first batch is TRULY messed up until its run its gamut of brewing cycles. *Cough*3weeksinthebottleregardlessofwhatthehecktheprimarylookslike*Cough*

Chances are you are going to love this batch and look back on this and laugh. I am still amazed by things that I see happen to my beer, and Im a good very many batches in. To this day, my beer still does stuff I dont get or agree with. But it still all comes out yummy with some age.
-Me

thanks for the reassurance. It's just that my sister and brother have both failed miserably at making beer. granted that they aren't a perfectionist like i am. they said "you are going to fail at this like we both did" they are both older than i am as well. sooo i hope pale ale it a good one to start out with :ban:

Back