Dry Hopping and bottle aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soup_nazi

Reaction score
I recently made a red ale for a 4th of july camping trip and was thinking about putting a hop in each bottle. Then I could dry hop half the batch. I would normally rack half the batch and dry hop that but my other secondary is full. So my question is can I dry hop and bottle condition at the same time? Does the hop flower make it hard to pour? Any ideas out there.

I am not speaking from experience here but if you leave the hops in too long you could get a grassy taste from it. Most people only recommend leaving the hops for dry hopping in for 10 to 14 days to avoid this.

If you are using hole hops i guess it could cause some pouring issues if it swells too large to get out of the bottle. Which you could probably work around but I would be concerned about grassy flavors.

You'll also end up with lots of hop particles and chunks in the glass. I think there's a few folks that have tried this, or at least looked into it if you do a search.

I like to dry hop in the secondary for 10-11 days. If you're looking for that REALLY fresh hops aroma and flavour I've heard that pouring your beer into a glass with a little bit of whole leaf hops in the bottom is quite the experience.

I bet you'd have foaming trouble when you opened the beer due to CO2 nucleation on the cone. You might have trouble bottle conditioning too.

But I've never tried it, so you should give it a shot!

Back