just a few questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagg

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this site, as well as the art of home brewing, and I have of couple of questions for you...or perhaps just one questions with several parts. Anyway, I love Mead. I had my first sip at 12, and loved it. The problem is that where I live (Podunk, Oklahoma) it's pretty damn hard to come by. My question is this: What exactly do I need in order to start brewing my own Mead? And also, how can I do so on a pretty small budget? I'd be grateful for any advice that you could give me. Thanks in advance!

look in the mead recipe database -- it's honestly not that hard---------

honey, water, yeast + TIME = good mead

well, yeah I know that much. I was meaning more in the way of what I should use to make it in. sorry for the confusion.

get yourself some glass 1-gallon jugs - either from your homebrew store or wine shop. Get a bung and airlock from your homebrew store and you're on your way!

look up Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and some other threads on here.

and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
well you will need a brewing kit. about $100+/-. 1 gallon (12 lbs.) of grade A raw honey $45+/-. yeast of course. 4 gallons of spring or drinking water (not distilled) $10+/-. and about 1 year of time.

+1 on the Compleat Meadmaker! Also shop around for kits before you buy one. There are kits in 5 gal, 3 gal or build your own for 1 gal jugs. Lots of places sell apple juice in 1 gal glass bottles that you can use for apfelwein then refill over and over with mead.

Back