Questions on getting a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I'm looking into picking up a keg. I don't have a Kegerator or anything like that. I'm brewing a batch for a buddy of mine's party and I thought it would be neat to keg instead of bottle. I figured I'd just put the keg on ice to keep it cold, considering it would be drank all in one sitting. would that work?

Also, does anyone know of a good deal on a simple keg setup?

Thanks!

What you could probably do in this case is pick yourself up a corny keg and picnic tap. I know they sell a portable kegging system that uses mini 12 gram co2 cartridges. This could be used as a take a long keg.

You can condition in the keg, but still need a way to seal it. I have one of those CO2 injectors, but have never tried to seal a keg with it. It should work.

Serving a 5 gallon keg at a party is easy. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket, and fill the bucket with ice. Wrap the exposed part of the keg with a foam sleeping mat.

:mug:

The biggest question I see is how will you carbonate? If you are carbonating with forced CO2, you will want more than the 12 gram cylinders. In your case, you probably want to still carbonate with corn sugar. You will want to use less than you normally do with bottles... not sure how much though, sorry.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I planned to carbonate it. I have time to natural carb it. I found a setup for about 150 online with a corny and co2 tank and everything so I may get that. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back