How long before pellicle forms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
So I brewed a bath of Gilda (from the Recipe database on here, all see my other post How to Brew an Extract Sour).

Anyway, I'm wondering how long before a pellicle begins to form from the souring bacteria. It's still in the primary and I plan to rack to secondary before the end of the week. Any thoughts? I pitched the Wyeast Lambic Blend. Thanks.

Im not familiar with the recipe, but generally I wouldnt use a secondary. the autolyzed yeast will provide much needed nutrition for all the bugs that work slowly.

and as far as pellicles go, I dont really have an answer. Ive brewed two very similar recipes using the roselare blend, and one never had much of a pellicle, just a very thin one for a couple months, and the other looked like I put wonderbread on top of it it was so thick.

sorry I couldnt be more help.

If I were you, I'd send a PM to Brewtopia and ask for some advice/techniques on this recipe. He's been busy with the new pub, but he'd still get back to you when he could.

I pitched the same yeast as you in December 08 and I am not seeing very much as far as a pellicle. I do see 4 or 5 spots on top that look like it might be starting but I cannot tell for sure. This is my first Kriek so I am learning as I go.

In my other post on Extract/PM Flanders , around post #34 and #36 I'm advised to rack to a secondary. So now that someone here is advising not to rack, I'm a bit confused. Anyone have other thoughts on whether I should rack this flanders to a secondary or leave it on the trub for a year?

I'm pretty sure you'll want to go to a secondary on this for long term aging. If I'm not mistaken Brewtopia kegged this beer before blending it with the other one to make "the grapes of wrath".

Again, drop him a pM and see what he says.

I've only done one sour, with another one currently in primary, but I didn't see a pellicle for about 4 weeks.

I've only done one sour, with another one currently in primary, but I didn't see a pellicle for about 4 weeks.

Seems about the same as my experiences. I think I was around 4-6 weeks with Spurhund Zunge before things started getting funky with the lactobacillus bloom.

Back