Don't fear the phenol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyKettleBrewing

Reaction score
I have a sore throat and a cold. I know it is counter productive but I am thinking about drinking myself silly today. I have a kolsch on tap that for whatever reason, taste like Shrit. I am almost positive that it was whoring around with some wild yeast. Very crisp tasting up front with a horrible throat spray anesthetic taste on the back end. I looked up phenols and found most sore throat sprays contain 1.4% phenol. Are there any doctors in the house that want to talk me out of this experiment? I'm going to start this afternoon and post my findings. Hoping that by drinking this horrible mutation I can find some pain relief for my ailing throat.

Don't know that I would recommend that, being that alcohol doesn't exactly help boost your immune system. That being said a Kolsh is probably one of the hardest beers to brew IMO simply because it is such a light beer that even the most simple thing like your brewing water can make or break you beer!

Don't know that I would recommend that, being that alcohol doesn't exactly help boost your immune system. That being said a Kolsh is probably one of the hardest beers to brew IMO simply because it is such a light beer that even the most simple thing like your brewing water can make or break you beer!

Agreed. I think that I was so anxious for this beer to finish out, I f'd it up by taking too many READINGS along the way. I am curious to find out if the phenol in the beer will act as an anesthetic for my sore throat. I blasted my throat with some chloraseptic yesterday and immediately found the indescribable aftertaste of my kolsch. I know I have to dump her. I just want a few more days with her before I let her go. So pissed I waited months for this. Next time, set it and forget it.

UPDATE: Don't try this. Dumping batch tomorrow after I wake up from headache. I was hoping that it would act as an anasthetic if drunk vigorously and in great quantity. Stopped at 36oz and decided to make some Pho for dinner. Not all that drunk, Pho rocks and is a sound decision.

maddad said:
UPDATE: Don't try this. Dumping batch tomorrow after I wake up from headache. I was hoping that it would act as an anasthetic if drunk vigorously and in great quantity. Stopped at 36oz and decided to make some Pho for dinner. Not all that drunk, Pho rocks and is a sound decision.

Bummer man.... I had to dump a batch if cider once.... I had just started brewing and wanted to make something for my wife. I did a 3gal batch with cinnamon sticks in the fermenter for like 6 weeks... It was some crazy amount of cinnamon too. Needless to say it was like taking a hit of HotDamn... Freaking horrible!

Bummer man.... I had to dump a batch if cider once.... I had just started brewing and wanted to make something for my wife. I did a 3gal batch with cinnamon sticks in the fermenter for like 6 weeks... It was some crazy amount of cinnamon too. Needless to say it was like taking a hit of HotDamn... Freaking horrible!

I've been considering a cider for my wife. From what we have purchased at the store, I can certainly see myself drinking them also.

I think I simply took too many readings during the course of lagering. I was checking every weekend to taste the progress but must have let something in. I was bummed because I could not taste it prior to kegging. It got worse with age. I nearly cried while dumping it in the garden.

Back