Steeping Grains Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I wanted to know if I could steep Vienna or regular base grains to extract flavor without the need to mash the grain? I wanted to add a more malt profile to a blonde ale (not something within the guidelines of a blonde).

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.. HB-Hudy

Both need to be mashed. But you might want to try a mini-mash. Take 1 lb of grain and add it to 1.3 quarts of water at low 160s F. Temp should drop about 10 degrees. Maintain temp around 150 (to low 150s) for 30 minutes, and stir occasionally.

Strain out grains and you are good to go. Rinsing grains with 170 F water will get more sugars out.

I can do a mini-mash but I did notice several extract recipes use steeping grains for flavor and color.
I am just wondering why they have steeping grains?

Thanks Yopper..
Can Vienna be used? Is it only Crystal or Cara grains that can be used for color and flavor? I have not used extract in a VERY long time and very rarely did I use grains.

Thanks Yopper..
Can Vienna be used? Is it only Crystal or Cara grains that can be used for color and flavor? I have not used extract in a VERY long time and very rarely did I use grains.

You can use ANY grain- the thing is, some grains must be mashed.

What I always did when I used extract, was to always do the procedure for a partial mash, so it didn't matter if the grains needed to be mashed or if they could be steeped.

What I mean is this- always use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, and always bring it to 165 degrees and add the grain. Stir in the grain (in a grainbag) and stir well. Make sure it's at 150-155 degrees, and leave it be for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, lift up the grainbag in a colander, and pour 170 degree water over the grains until you're at your boil volume.

That's it! It's the correct technique for a partial mash, but it won't hurt to steep the grains this way also so you never have to figure out if you need to do a partial mash or a steep. It works for both, and takes all of the guesswork out of it.

great.. I will simply mash the grains and then do the 2.5 gal boil for the extract.

Cheers and wish me luck..

Latest posts

Back