Late Hopping IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Ale

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience using only late hop additions to achieve a smoother round bitterness in your IPA or Pale Ales? I am thinking of doing the 777 Rye IPA again, and the only complaint I ever had on it was the sharpness of the bitterness. I remember a pod cast that talked about late hopping to achieve the same IBU, and getting a smoother rounder beer. Any one? Buehler?

Interesting idea. Have you ever had any IPA's that you like? Maybe they are not for you. I would also say to make sure you give an IPA plenty of time in the keg or bottle. I have a IIPA that was unbearable at 4 weeks, now 10-12 (maybe more to lazy to get the log out) the malt is coming through nice.

As for the late addition, check this thread out.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/all-late-hop-addition-apa-what-constitutes-late-87289/

Yes, I used that technique in a hoppy red ale that I put together to get the taste for a new hop that I got. It was a good beer, I can't really say it was a rounder bitterness than any other beer I have ever made, but it was good.

Picture2-5.png

But, anyway, you should do it. Do it now.

I did an IPA with 7.5 oz of hops after 30 minutes and a 2.5 oz dry hop. I made sure the beer finished dry (OG: 1.071; FG: 1.009) so that the hops would shine through. It was plenty hoppy with lots of flavor and plenty of bitterness.

If you've got a thousand #s of hops, go for it! I've gotten GREAT results with late-hopped IPAs. That being said, I'd say use a bit of high alpha hops for bittering (maybe 1/2 IBU's), then make up the difference with late (<15 min) additions of your favorite hop. Also, look into firs wort hopping. Havn't tried it yet, but it sounds delicious!

Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back