RIS over-hopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigd

Reaction score
So I have a RIS that I brewed a week ago (partial mash.) I took a hydrometer reading to see if it was done fermenting and as usual took a swig of the sample and the bitterness really reached out and slapped me. Looking back I think I made a couple of errors including adding my extract late without reducing my early hops addition.

So now what to do? Maybe rack the beer onto some fruit or honey to get some sweet to counteract it? Any ideas?

FWIW the OG on this was 1100 and was down to 1030 when I tested it. I think it will drop another 5-10 points before the yeast gives out. I'm a little surprised at how fast this fermented but this was the first time I used a big starter so maybe that accounts for it...

-Craig

Let it alone and let it age. A beer of that size will mellow over the next year and more. If it does not smack you now, it will be under hopped after it mellows. RDWHAHB.

What was your hopping like anyway? How many ounces of what when?

remember that bitterness will mellow out with age. I've had some beers that i thought were too bitter at bottling but were great after a month.

Let it beeeee, let it beeeeeeeee, let it be, let it be.... whisper words of wisdom, let it be.........

RIS is made to age for at least 6 months. Of COURSE the hydro sample is gonna be bitter. Besides, both fruit or honey would just dry the finish out further, it would not contribute much sweetness -- you'd need lactose or Splenda or something to add sweetness. But it doesn't matter because DON'T DO IT.

Step away from the beer, good sir. ;)

Now go brew something smaller so you can drink it quicker. :D :)

Edit: Damn you fast typists!!!

High Hop levels are integral to the style. This beer will benefit from months of extended aging and the hop levels will diminish and blend into the beer with time. You can not judge the final product based on the hydrometer sample and I strongly reccommend you leave this beer alone and savor the end result next year.

Wow! that was a fast set of replies! Ok, I give in and will just let it age after bottling. This was my first attempt at a big beer and also a shakedown run for my setup since haven't brewed in the last 3 years. I figured a minimash with a big starter would let me check all of my processes out.

As for my recipe: I used this one from my LHBS (Heart's in Orlando)

<recipe>
6.6 lbs Gold Malt Extract
3.3 lbs Gold Malt Extract
½ lb. Choclolate Malt
1 lb. British Crystal Malt
¾ lb. Black Patent Grain
1 lb. Roasted Grain
2 oz. Northern Brewer Hops
1½ oz. Kent Goldings Hops
1 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker Hops
½ oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker Hops
1 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker Hops
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - Irish Ale

Boil the wort for 1 hour adding 2 oz. of Northern Brewer at the beginning of the boil Kent Goldings 30 minutes into the boil and 1 oz. of Styrian Goldings 40 minutes into the boil. Add ½ oz. of Styrian Goldings for the final two minutes and dry hop the final 1 oz. Pitch yeast when below 80°F. Ferment at 68°F - 70°F.
Yields 5 gallons.
</recipe>

As I said I didn't add my extract to the minimash until the last 15 minutes of the boil and didn't account for that in my hops additions. I also added an extra once at flameout. I had been intending to replace the goldings with fresher hops because my kit was getting old but pitched them both without thinking. The combination of those errors has me worried though.

-Craig

Back