What is the purpose of the 2-row malt in my extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irunxcjm

Reaction score
I received my AHS West Coast Pale Ale kit today. The recipe is:

7 lbs Extra Pale Liquid Extract (1.3 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo [8.90 %] (15 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

I know that specialty grains are steeped for the flavor and color that the grains give off. I also know that 2 row is a base malt and must be mashed to get any sugars out of it. Does steeping the 2 row give off flavors and colors like the Crystal? This is only my second batch and I am trying to learn everything I can about the process. Thanks in advance!

Jake

interesting. i've never heard of steeping 2-row for the enzymes. can anyone give a bit more detail on this?

tagz said:
interesting. i've never heard of steeping 2-row for the enzymes. can anyone give a bit more detail on this?

I'm a magician. Simply by typing Austin Homebrew Supply I'll bet Forrest will be more then happy to chime in on this thread and give you some more info. :D :D

So you won't have to use the link:

We added 2-row to all of our kits. 2-row has enzymes that (in theory) help "convert" more sugars and flavor out of the specialty grains. It is a good idea to add a little to every recipe. If you read about 2-row and mashing. it has nothing to do with getting the sugars out of the 1/2 pound of 2 row added. We add it for the enzymes and not the sugar. If you were trying to convert the sugars of the 2-row then you would need to steep it longer. If you follow the instructions you will be ok.

Forrest

Curious though-
I'll do the same when making stouts, as they tend to use lots of non-crystal specialty grains.

But does crystal malts need enzymes? My understanding is that the starches have already been converted to sugars during the kilning process.

+1 on the above question. also, most of the opinions i've read say that you'll get additional starches that will cloud the beer and make it less stable. any additional insight would be appreciated.

Mashing crystal malts improves the extraction, anywhere from 50% to 100% better depending on the Lovibond. Really dark grains, like black patent & roasted barley, the improvement is small.

Back