Green Flash IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YNOT2K

Reaction score
hey all. i'm trying to size a recipe of Green Flash IPA to a 50 liter brewing system. will start with 16 gallons and finish with 13 gallons. brewing will be done at Gallagher's Where-U-Brew in Edmonds, WA on their system. this is a gift from my sweet wife. :):)

i'm new and don't know how to re-size recipes.

also, it it reasonable to substitue Crystal for the British Carastan 30-37 in the recipe below?

here is a recipe i found for a 6 gallon batch -

Green Flash Co.: West Coast IPA

6 Gal. batch
OG: 1.069
FG: 1.013-1.014
SRM: 8.8
IBU: ~93

14# American Two Row
1.31# British Carastan 30-37
1.31# CaraPils

0.5oz Simcoe @ 90min
0.5oz Columbus @ 90 min (optional)
0.25oz Simcoe @ 60min
0.25oz Columbus @ 60min
0.25oz Simcoe @ 30min
0.25oz Columbus @ 30min
0.75oz Simcoe @ 15min
0.75oz Columbus @ 15min
1oz Cascade @ 10min
0.5oz Simcoe @ Flameout
0.5oz Columbus @ Flameout

0.5oz of each: Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, Cascade for Dry Hop

Mash Temp: 152F, Boil Time 90min

Yeast : WY1056 or WLP001
Ferment Temp: 68F -> 72F

anyone out there feel like helping? :mug:

Welcome to the hobby and to HBT, and well-done on successfully wooing such a great wife.

To go from 6 to 16, just multiply everything by 2.66 or whatever. Rounding a few numbers off is fine, especially later in the boil. If you have to, I would round up on the hops and throw the extras in at flameout. Carastan is a crystal malt. Just try to find whatever crystal malt has the closest Lovibond number (color); the store should have a C-35 that will be fine.

so you're saying that sizing recipes is a simple mathematical conversion by weight and volume?

Yes. This isn't like baking that involves different density factors.

Its as simple as Final Ingredient Amount = (Initial Ingredient Amount) * (Current System Size)/(Original Recipe Size)

As an Example:
Final Ingredient Amount = 14# American Two Row * (13 gallons)/(6 gallons)
Final Ingredient Amount = 30.33# American Two Row
(I'm not sure if this recipe was 6 gallons initial, or 6 gallons final. I used it as final in the calculcation. If it is an initial amount, then use the 16 gallons as Current System Size)

Most of us wont notice any differnences in a recipe brewed on a 10 gallon system with twice the amounts of ingredients compared to a recipe brewed on a 5 gallon system as is.

I'd imagine some things happen with recipes and utilization when going into the 100s of gallons scale, but if you're on that scale, you probably understand it better than I anyway!

About the only difference you'd ever have to worry about is the boil-off rate, which has less to do with batch size and more to do with the diameter of your pot and that day's humidity level.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who offered advice on my first brew.

I brewed the 13 gallon batch, kegged 9 gallons, and bottled 4 gallons in bombers to give away to friends.

While I was not confident that I could make a decent beer, it turned out great and I actually like the final product.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back