Your Favorite Underappreciated Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havn't seen styrian aurora yet.I love this hop.

I've had the Funkwerks Aurora saison, but that's the only beer (that I know of) that has incorporated these hops. I remember it being good, but not overwhelming. I would be interested in trying these out for myself at some point.

I had a single-hop motueka wheat beer here from Half Acre brewing, very hoppy. It was definitely tropical, I didn't get so much melon, but a hit of spiciness in the background. Good enough that I'm sitting on a lb of 2012 as we speak!

pac gem may be more melony but both are very unique and combine them and its interesting

I'll be mixing motueka and hallertau in a lager this weekend. I'm just trying to get an idea on what sort addition schedule that i want to use. last week's lager was very low ibu with the matueka more up front of the hallertau

Tett, Crystal, Mt.Hood, Glacier, Warrior are all pretty unsung heroes and I love them all. A lot of the GA pros are putting out a bunch of great late addition Mt.Hood IPA's, they are dank, sticky,sweaty, and awesome. I prefer it to nugget.

magnum it can be used to bitter almost any style. smooth alpha acids with high IBU, I use more than a pound of the stuff for bittering a year, it just seems to go with anything. Very under appreciated.

sonex said:
magnum it can be used to bitter almost any style. smooth alpha acids with high IBU, I use more than a pound of the stuff for bittering a year, it just seems to go with anything. Very under appreciated.

I've seen it in a few recipes for beers I really like and have a pound coming tomorrow.

What are the favorites among the new nz and aus hops? The description for riwaka sounds great.

Its powerful grapefruit "citrus” characters are literally breathtaking. If you want to say "hops” in your beer than this variety says it all. The pure weight of the oil character experienced during selection carries right through to the glass .

I picked up Cluster and Styrian Celeja on sale in a pound. Cluster does not deserve the catty reputation. It is a fantastic hop. Smaragd is also a personal favorite. Im still undecided about celeja. It is pleasant and hoppy but has little complexity in my uses so far.

The different varieties of goldings! When you read beer magazines in the UK it pretty much sounds as if they could go extinct over here with the interest in more extreme foreign hops.

graduate said:
I'm not sure it is underappreciated but I love Chinook!

I think it might be. This is the only post that mentions it. I love Chinook. So damn versatile. Also Columbus and perle.

Right there with you. I use it for most of my beers at bittering.

+1 on Willamette - Cheap, flowering and fruity, and can be used in many different styles

Mt. Hood - Clean with hints of flower and spice; I like it in combo with 6-Row and flaked maize for a Semi-SMASH Cream Ale

Newport - Earthy and herbal; Great in American Browns, Robust Porters, and American Stouts; Can be used to bitter an IPA in a pinch

Add Serebrianka to the list. Great in Porters and Stouts.

cluster and saaz - they just go together so nicely for a basic american cream ale that just about everyone loves. stocked up and bought a pound of each this year! :)

Brewers Gold!!!! One of my fav hops. Was the best first year hop. Lets see what this year will bring. The aroma and taste is very good.

Back