Taste ? I have a few taste questions, Hope somebody can help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevol

Reaction score
I am new to Homebrew and I am in the middle of my second batch. My first brew was a bit of an hit and miss afair that turned out drinkable but had loads of sediment. My only real complaint was a twang when first taking a swig, I got used to this... On my second atempt after researching around a lot and doing things right, it has been bottled and is clearing up nicely. After about a week in the bottle I could not resist cracking one open, but I was disapointed to find the fruity twang (that is my best explaination :D ) is still present.
My question is... will this twang go away with time ? I am impatiant.
A second question, Im using cheap kits would this afect the end flavour?
A third question, Can I add anything to make a more earthy flavour (another atempt to explain taste :D )
Happy brewing everyone, hope I aint gon on to much :mug:

That fruity twang probably won't go away. It more than likely comes from two places- one, fermenting too warm, and two, poor quality ingredients.

Those Coopers kits to me are one of the worst- bad yeast, canned LME, and instructions to ferment too warm.

A good extract beer can be made- with good quality ingredients, and good fermentation temperature control (low 60s).

Right on with Yooper! Cheap kits, poor ingredients and poor brewing practices make for less than desirable beer!

There are a boatload of great, proven recipe kits available from reputable vendors like Northern Brewer and Midwest supplies to name 2. They use fresh ingredients with proper balance and above average instructions. Fermentation temperatures are key so put some thought into managing temperatures in the low to mid 60's, like a swamp cooler set up for a cheap and easy solution.

Do some reading: http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Learn to be patient, you will be rewarded handsomely!

In my experiences with Cooper's,it's the yeast that produces those fruity esters. The yeast even smells like white grapes in the packet. Moreso with the fruitiness when ferment temps are high. But it can ferment like a beast when re-hydrated & is highly flocculent as well. A lot moreso compared to US-05,which is medium flocculation. Even though it's cleaner tasting.

from your replies I am still doing it wrong. I use cheapest ingredients, and my ferment bucket is near a radiator, I am a noob in every sense :eek:
Thanks all for your input, im going to spend a bit more on ingredients, it will be worth it in the end.... for now I will settle with my strongish slightly cidery beer :mug: thanks again

Being new to this I thought if I kept my brew warm it would go along better :tank: it finished fast but now I want better flavour, Im now going take my time and keep an eye on temps... third time lucky :D

Back