Where do you keep your fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
middle bedroom, constant 68-72 and no more or less. i dont lager because i am not set up for it yet so it is perfect for ales.

The floor of my darkness, coolest, smallest closet. About 68-72 degrees ambient temperature this last month.

closetbrewery.jpg

iambeer said:
The floor of my darkness, coolest, smallest closet. About 68-72 degrees ambient temperature this last month.

I am beer. That's a nice set up

Basement room that is 64-66 year round, swamp cooler for the need of colder and brew belt with thermostat for warmer fermentation requirements.

I ferment under my stairs in the basement. Ground temps never exceed about 68 and I use simple soaked towels and a fan to reduce the temps further. Hard to tell by these pics but it is really just my brew area. Taps, kegs, ingredients, cleaners, tubes, vials, etc all have a place to live down there.

The other pic shows the upright freezer. I plan on leveraging the freezer and creating a proper fermentation chamber by creating an insulated box fed by a hole into the freezer. Eventually...

IMG_20120521_221237.jpg

IMG_20120521_220928.jpg

Basement guest bathtub. Cool year round, ready access to hot and cold water baths if I need to adjust temps, and easy to clean if the airlock blows. Plus, room in the tub for multiple batches at once.

Basement but its getting too mid 60's (summer)currently for me to brew.

Various locations in basement based on temperatures therein. Water bath in basement sink as needed, sometimes with fan and towel. Soon I will make my second fridge temp controlled for two batches at a time. Wits will still be done at higher room temps.

I keep my brews in an interior closet in a swamp cooler with swapped out ice bottles until I can get my hands on a spare fridge with temp control. Living in AZ I never have to worry about things getting too cold.

I say "second fridge" but as of Monday it will be third. Craigs list and one that somewhat crapped out, now new kitchen fridge coming

In a bathroom in the shower with beverage tubs filled with water, wrapped in blankets. Only have to change frozen water bottles once a day to keep a steady mid 60's even in the summer. I change them twice a day the first 3 days or so while the yeast are making heat.

Most of mine are kept on the kitchen countertop or the kitchen table. If I have more then one going I'll have one of the kids move the ones finishing up to the back living room for me. But with a bad back it's hard to bend over and degas several times a day if my primary isn't somewhere I can reach easily.

Usually the temp in our house is good enough that I don't have to worry much.

In a bathroom in the shower with beverage tubs filled with water, wrapped in blankets. Only have to change frozen water bottles once a day to keep a steady mid 60's even in the summer. I change them twice a day the first 3 days or so while the yeast are making heat.

+1.. 'zackly what I do. Works great. I have a plywood sheet cut to span the tub. If the house is prop temp.. the FV sits on the plywood for easier reading of the stick'em on thermometer. If too warm, I have "big blue".. the rope handled bev bucket in the tub with water to the beer line. One frozen bottle in the AM and one in the PM seem to work very well. Temp fluctuations are very minimal. :rockin:

I usually ferment in here, now that i know it works. best build ever, and i'm only using 20oz bottles to keep it at 68 degrees.

598220100.jpg

I'm using it to keep my bottles cool and dark while it conditions. double purpose!

I keep mine in the laundry room/furnace room/storage room in the basement. 3 concrete below ground exterior walls, concrete floor, so far stays about 65 degrees constant in there, and pitch black with the light.

I'm going to be building a shelving system for storing fermenters in the very near future, and may end up enclosing it to help with keeping it dark and temperature controlled.

Basement bathroom with a temp controled space heater on low. I keep basement temp as low as I can (closed vents) and get 55-65 depending on a season.
I still have to use water bath and a T-shirt to cool down some yeasts when ambient temp. goes above 60, some yeasts just heat up too much.
But a have a dual controller in transit and switching to an old fridge in a garage

Back