You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which of course in and of itself is just not fair! Senior year chemistry/biology classes should do brewing!
My high school advanced chemistry class actually did distill alcohol. But then, a LOT of our experiments would give the average school board nervous fits -- and this was in the late '90's. (iodine 'bombs', playing with thermite, determining the ideal mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gas for the most powerful explosion....) My chemistry teacher ROCKED.

My high school advanced chemistry class actually did distill alcohol. But then, a LOT of our experiments would give the average school board nervous fits -- and this was in the late '90's. (iodine 'bombs', playing with thermite, determining the ideal mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gas for the most powerful explosion....) My chemistry teacher ROCKED.

Yeah, Mr. White, science!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

when you are standing in front of some scrap metal and you are thinking of a way to use it to improve your burners efficitncy

Then you go home and the idea works

When you keep walking around your back yard, trying to determine the best place to build a brew house, even though you don't have the money or materials to build one.

yeah, mr. White, science!

Sent from my sch-i545 using home brew mobile app

boomy.jpg

.....when you look at the line of water bottles at the office and think " I wish those were all full fermenters in my basement".

It's hard for me to believe that, that's only 85 gallons!

But when you think of it as, a "tad shy of 2.5 barrels", then it sounds about right. ;)

pb

You go to target with your wife and see huge glass vases shaped like carboys and tell her we should buy one because I could brew in it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Like a bookie frontin a gambler on the next bet! Nice!! And the owners of both LHBS places I go wud do the same. I call it "enabling"

Mine has offered to do the same for me before-hell just the other day. I once forgot my GF had my card, but thank goodness I had $ in the car. I hate owing people...

My lhbs is 500 miles away.
I send the guy an email,he posts the grain to me and tells me to pay the next time I am at the bank.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

I'm going to need to start posting in the, "you know you're a professional brewer when..." Forum. I'm on my way to an automated single tier blichmann setup.

image.jpg

I just acquired my 3rd and final kettle for my system. Scored big getting the 20 gallon Blichmann kettle, a banjo burner, over $180 in stainless morebeer quick disconnects and hoses. A couple of march pumps the 809HS—one with an assembly. An oxygenation thermometer set up for my plate chiller.... Etc

Basically scored about $1200 worth of equipment for $500. By the time I sell off the extras, that kettle will be free to me.

Now I can focus on my controller build... I got a raspberry pi for Christmas. Let the fun begin...

...You drink one of your wife's Bud Light Platinum's, just to see if it's any good (I know, I know) because I wanted to get an idea of the taste for something similar but GOOD / REAL that I could brew for her, and because I haven't touched a BMC product in over 2 years. Turns out, it has practically zero flavor of any kind. I had literally forgotten how bad that stuff is. So much for that idea....

When a "simple strawberry strain" has up until 1 AM creating this MacGyver rig for an emergency blow off can from a pop bottle and your siphon hose you had to cut up and your daughter's fun size toothpaste for sealant!

[ame]http://youtu.be/H0jwE3k6nXw[/ame]

When you go to a sleazy dive bar and it delivers on all the sleaze and dive you could want, but its really missing something, like a decent homebrew Cream Ale or IPA. And you realize how sweet Bud Light really is, cause you havnt had any in years!!

when the wife cant park the car in the garage anymore because of all the brewing stuff you have.
when the wife stops complaining about the house stinking like barley all the time because she is finally used to it.
when you dont really drink beer to get drunk, but you get smashed one night so you have enough bottles to brew tomorrow

when the wife stops complaining about the house stinking like barley all the time because she is finally used to it.

I was doing a mini-mash on the stove today, and the wife actually said, "That smells kinda nice." So hopefully she's getting there.

when you dont really drink beer to get drunk, but you get smashed one night so you have enough bottles to brew tomorrow

LOL! Totally guilty of this.

When you walk into the LHBS and they greet you by name and are excited to show you which hops and yeasts they just got on this weeks order.

when the wife cant park the car in the garage anymore because of all the brewing stuff you have.

I guess it's better than, "you know you're a homebrewer when your wife always complains she can't park in the garage because of all my brew stuff, and she always complains the house smells like barley. So I drink until I'm smashed."

Back