Extra Thick O-Rings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Who carries the extra thick keg lid o-rings?

I have a couple of kegs that simply WILL NOT seal properly. Unless the pressure is over 20psi, they will leak around the lid. Reduce the pressure to pour, and the leaking is constant.

I'm hoping thicker o-rings will make the seal tight.

:confused:

Not sure on the answer, but did you check the feet on the lid? Sometimes the plastic wears down, or the feet are bent too wide and won't pull the lid enough

Who carries the extra thick keg lid o-rings?

I have a couple of kegs that simply WILL NOT seal properly. Unless the pressure is over 20psi, they will leak around the lid. Reduce the pressure to pour, and the leaking is constant.

I'm hoping thicker o-rings will make the seal tight.

Why not check Mcmaster Carr? You can look up the dimensions for the current o-rings and then just get a slightly thicker o-ring.

Not sure on the answer, but did you check the feet on the lid? Sometimes the plastic wears down, or the feet are bent too wide and won't pull the lid enough

That is part of the issue. The bail does not pull the lid tight enough. However, hitting the lid with 20psi should seal it, even with the pressure dropped to 12psi for serving.

I went with the Williams brewing $5 orings, never had a problem sense, i wish i would have sooner. My kegs used to be picky, need to be pressurized, etc... Now i just close the lid, and it is sealed, every time.

I went with the Williams brewing $5 orings, never had a problem sense, i wish i would have sooner. My kegs used to be picky, need to be pressurized, etc... Now i just close the lid, and it is sealed, every time.

What is the width of the o-ring? If you can measure and let us know, we can then spec out the Mcmaster Carr version.

Normal keg o-rings are 1/4" wide.

That is part of the issue. The bail does not pull the lid tight enough. However, hitting the lid with 20psi should seal it, even with the pressure dropped to 12psi for serving.

I have solved the same problem with a couple pairs of vice grips, I tweak the bail to seal the lid more tightly.

+1 to both silicone o-rings and adjusting the bails with vice grips to provide more clamping pressure. One of my kegs has a giant v shaped ding right in the shoulder for the lid, but with the silicone o-ring and proper clamping it holds fine even without pressure. The added benefit I've found to the silicone is that it doesn't hold flavors like the rubber. It can be used for rootbeer, cleaned, and then used for beer without any worries.

+1 to both silicone o-rings and adjusting the bails with vice grips to provide more clamping pressure. One of my kegs has a giant v shaped ding right in the shoulder for the lid, but with the silicone o-ring and proper clamping it holds fine even without pressure. The added benefit I've found to the silicone is that it doesn't hold flavors like the rubber. It can be used for rootbeer, cleaned, and then used for beer without any worries.

Daaang, why do we even use the black rubber rings then?

Why not check Mcmaster Carr? You can look up the dimensions for the current o-rings and then just get a slightly thicker o-ring.

Standard size o-rings don't exist any thicker.

McMaster Carrs part number for the silicon o-rings is 9396k926.

Standard size o-rings don't exist any thicker.

McMaster Carrs part number for the silicon o-rings is 9396k926.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. That sucks. Looks like the silicone and adjusting the bales are the way to go.

Daaang, why do we even use the black rubber rings then?

Because they're cheaper? The post and dip-tube rings are about 4X more for silicone and the lid rings are about 1.5X as much. I should also clarify that even if you replace all of the o-rings with silicone, the poppets are still rubber and can hold odors and flavors, so the keg cannot be used for rootbeer and then beer, just the o-rings can.

Buna-N is $1.27 and silicon is $1.57. 30 cents difference.

I was just going off of memory that the buna n were ~$11/10 pack and the silicone were ~$8/5 pack. You're right, actual cost is 1.27X more, not 1.5X more.

The Williams brewing lid o rings are not only thicker but a softer material. I don't think it's too much a price for a good seal. Even at the price they are it's still cheaper than losing a batch to oxidation or losing a tank of co2. They are also great if you ferment in the keg under no pressure.

The Williams brewing lid o rings are not only thicker but a softer material. I don't think it's too much a price for a good seal. Even at the price they are it's still cheaper than losing a batch to oxidation or losing a tank of co2. They are also great if you ferment in the keg under no pressure.

Well, I ordered a couple of them, so hopefully that will fix the leak.

Been using the mcmaster silicone rings for a couple years. Work great. I do have one keg which the lid does not fit at all well. It hits metal on metal b4 the o-ring seats. It is like the lid it too big for the opening. Any ideas? Maybe a williams ring will work on this...?

Well, I ordered a couple of them, so hopefully that will fix the leak.

You will solve your problem, they seal at a very low pressure.
I have installed the O-rings on all my tanks.

Look at the difference

NC_KEG_Seals2.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Look at the difference

NC_KEG_Seals2.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Yeah, the thicker ring fixed the leak just fine. I've got a spare in case another kegs starts acting up.

Look at the difference

NC_KEG_Seals2.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
What is the thickness of this o-ring? With Williams's price I'd like to see if McMaster Carrr has a 5 pack.

Eyeballing the comparison pic I'd say ~ 5/16" which is about .31.
McMaster has nothing, or MSC, or Graingers.
We may have some 5/16ths stock at work. I may give making a couple a try.
Thanx for the assist.

Hard to get an exact measurement, because they are a little squishy (even more than the standard version), but I measure about 0.30 inches vs. about 0.26 for the standard O-rings.

Mine measure the same.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

even two dimes thick could not get the lid to go thru the hole far enough to seal on the o-ring.
It took a bigger diameter o-ring to get it done.

Did anybody ever come up with a cheaper source for the extra thick silicon O rings?

I'm thinking about replacing ALL my lid rings with them, and at $4 a pop, that will be pricy.

Back