Is Beersmith available for MAC yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
I just got a MacBook Pro and have been extremely interested in Beersmith but I want to get it on for our MacBook. I've seen some posts that it should of been available by now. Is it?

Nope.

Looks like they have been working on it since Sept 2008.

Found this:

BTW, MAC users, I use a program called "Crossover" which runs Beersmith on my MAC in Leopard without starting any virtual machine. Its fast and I can print to my MAC printers, or export right to my "Documents" folder. It runs as a normal application, which means you can size it and move it just like any MAC app. Crossover can run pretty much any windows application this way. I believe it used the "Wine" platform under the covers, but I did not have to install or configure Wine for this to work.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1814.0

Do a google search for Beer Alchemy.
Its an OSX based program and its fantastic!! I got it about a month ago and I love it. Lots of great features, covernsion tools, full recipe database, inventory module, full library ala iTUnes for all your recipes and you can create categories to sort them into like iTunes playlists. $30 gets you a license to install it on 3 computers

Do a google search for Beer Alchemy.
Its an OSX based program and its fantastic!! I got it about a month ago and I love it. Lots of great features, covernsion tools, full recipe database, inventory module, full library ala iTUnes for all your recipes and you can create categories to sort them into like iTunes playlists. $30 gets you a license to install it on 3 computers

Agreed. I've tried all of them, including the pc software, and Beer Alchemy is my favorite. The UI is very intuitive, like you'd expect to have on a mac.

Agreed. I've tried all of them, including the pc software, and Beer Alchemy is my favorite. The UI is very intuitive, like you'd expect to have on a mac.

:mug: Exactly. I've been thru a fair few myself. Was using Beer Recipators online thing for years but I just didn't really like it and thought there had to be something better. Beer Alchemy is it for sure!:rockin:

Found this:

BTW, MAC users, I use a program called "Crossover" which runs Beersmith on my MAC in Leopard without starting any virtual machine. Its fast and I can print to my MAC printers, or export right to my "Documents" folder. It runs as a normal application, which means you can size it and move it just like any MAC app. Crossover can run pretty much any windows application this way. I believe it used the "Wine" platform under the covers, but I did not have to install or configure Wine for this to work.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1814.0

509, thank you so much for that reference.

:off: My PC died on Friday, and I want to brew on Sunday (tomorrow). Tired of PC "sudden death" experiences, I made the switch to the "dark side" (Mac).

I was contemplating having to face a world without my beersmith. I downloaded Beer Alchemy, but couldn't even figure out how to switch the working unit defaults. (I wanted to work in Gallons and not liters.) The answer is probably out there, but Beer Alchemy doesn't do its own calculations during recipe formulation for the things that I am interested in (like the automatic infusion temperature adjustment for my mash and equipment...) Anyway- a world without beersmith wasn't feeling right.

Well- NOW I can have the one thing that was going to make the switch to Mac painful otherwise. Besides, crossover is a good program that I imagine that I will have to use for future applications, anyway. Awesome tip!

Beersmith users- do the "Crossover" program download, and you can still have your beersmith until the Mac version comes out.

...Mac user day number 2...

I emailed Brad a few weeks ago letting him know I would help test the OSX version of Beersmith (I do beta testing regularly as part of my classes), and he seemed appreciative, but told me it wasn't quite to that point yet.

According to his Twitter, he's been working on it a lot recently.

Beer Alchemy is 100% native Mac software. In other words it runs smooth, fast and is really just a fantastic program. If you have a Mac, I really don't understand why you're still looking. What does BeerSmith have that Beer Alchemy doesn't?

Ditto on the alchemy just got it and the iphone app it's pretty cool. You get them on the same network and they will sync all recipes and inventory for you. Pretty handy I'm pumped to have it.

wish they would make it for linux. try crossover trial and see if you can get it running on mac. i have it running on linux via wine

What does BeerSmith have that Beer Alchemy doesn't?

Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, or my trial version of beer alchemy wasn't as "enabled" as my beersmith software, which I have registered, but beersmith does a lot of things that I didn't see that beer alchemy can do...

- beersmith does automatic calculation adjustments for things... like:
-adjusts for the input properties of your equipment, to calculate total mash volumes when both grain and water are added and proper infusion temperatures for given infusion volumes....
-adjusts hop utilization, SRM, post-boil OG for boil volume used and evaporation rate unique to your equipment.
-prints an easy-to-use, step-by-step brew sheet for brew day (and pre-brew prep) that helps to make my brew day idiot proof....
-other things that I am forgetting and failing to mention off of the top of my head, I am certain...

...Anyway- yes- all of the above can be considered a "crutch". Yes- I can spend a day with the beer alchemy calculators and formulate every aspect of my brew. This however, is not what I buy beer software for. Beersmith does the work for me. It IS a crutch, because that's what I bought it for. It takes a day of thinking (and later worrying whether I did a proper re-calculation after that last recipe tweak), and it does that work for me, as I pay to have happen, as beer software should.

Then again- I apologize in advance if beer alchemy does all of this, as I surely do not know that program as well as beersmith, and I am clearly biased towards beersmith, as it has worked very well for me.

-Every brewer must find the beat of their own drum(s). Beersmith just happens to play my bass drum. :cross:

it definitely does all of that. as far as hops utilization, the newest update calculates utilization for if you brew with the hops in a mesh bag.

prints an easy to follow instruction... although, i'm not sure exactly what you mean by "pre-brew prep."

i sometimes do double decoctions... calculates all of that for me.

i definitely understand how we all march to the beat of a different drum! if you're already acclimated to BeerSmith, more power to you. To people with Macs that haven't already gotten used to a particular software, I highly recommend (obviously) Beer Alchemy.

Geeze, for all of this free advertising, I hope I get a free t-shirt from them or something.

Do both programs support sharing of recipes and data between users? Is this something that is done often to begin with?

i think they pretty much all have the ability to share recipes. in fact, beerxml is kind of the standard file type. i'm pretty sure any brewing software can open a beerxml file, so sharing is easy regardless of which program you're running.

they all have there own native file types too.

there are lots of forums here of people swapping recipes.

yeah Beer Alchemy supports BeerXML natively. it can easily import/export and share BeerXML recipe files. It also exports recipes to plain text format for easy copy/pasteing.

I gotta say, I've used Beer Alchemy on several batches now and I just don't know how I got along without it for so long. Its fantastic! One of my favorite aspects is for writing recipes. I select the style I am going for and as I add ingredients and amounts it shows me how close I am to hitting the BJCP style guidlines. it adjusts gravity automatically for me based on my normal efficiency (which it calculates for me based on previous batches entered) I can create normal water profiles for multiple batch sizes based on my normal techniques. it even lets you plug in your water profile and will tell you if you need to adjust PH or what not to meet stored water profiles from around the world (I.E. Burton On Trent)

yeah, great program

yeah, i was stoked when my municipal water company mailed me the water chemistry profile for my tap water. i through it all in to beer alchemy and thought i was going to actually start controlling my water chemistry to match regional waters. still yet to use that function... great function and some day i swear i'll utilize it!

Beer Tools Pro ...its not Beersmith but my Mac loves it and tells me so all the time!

How would I go about entering this into either program. It is a Brewcraft kit I started and this all the info I can get on it,

"Mexican Cerveza
Refreshing when served very cold & designed for the taste buds of the Mexican working man

Yeast Essentials Saf Lager W3470
Ideal brewing temp range 12-18 degrees Try to keep below 20 degrees
Ingredients Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza with dry enzyme, Brewcraft Blend 15
Special Instructions Add an extra 500g of Brewcraft Japanese Blonde Malt (rice malt) to replicate the famous Corona Extra which uses both super light rice and barley malt in the brewing process.
Final Volume 21L "

I cant even tell what the basic beer is.
I added 2.2 lbs of light pilsner extract and boiled for 5 min.

Just wondering what you might class this as.

I dont think most brewing software supports extract brewing. I do know beer Alchemy does have extracts in various colors and such in the ingredients list. So you would just select the type of extract it is from the ingredients list and enter the quantity by weight (I.E. 2lbs 8ozs or whatever it is)

Beer Tools Pro ...its not Beersmith but my Mac loves it and tells me so all the time!

agreed.. it really seems to be the most cutting edge software out there.

(I just went through trying all of the software).

plus, there seems to be a lot more support for it.

Back