after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i was jw is there a factor that controlls aftertaste? is it just like u make a beer and it has a certain aftertaste or is it something u can control like the ammount of hops aroma?

No, there isn't.

Seriously, this is almost an impossible question to answer. Are you getting some sort of undesirable aftertaste in your beers? If so, you'll need to describe it in order for anyone to be able to help identify it.

Generally aftertaste is referred to a taste that is not desired. Mostly I hear of aftertaste as a result of bad sanitation, too much table sugar or high sulphur from the yeast.

i dont mean it like i hav off flavors. i was jw if there is a definative way to control it. The reason i asked is taht i had the flying dog scottish porter and i really liked the aftertaste so i was jw of one could really control aftertaste.

It's the combination of all the ingredientsand in what way they're used. Just hops alone you can get bitterness out of them as well as flavor and aroma, depending on the boil times. That's not counting conbinations of varieties.

grrtt78 said:
i dont mean it like i hav off flavors. i was jw if there is a definative way to control it. The reason i asked is taht i had the flying dog scottish porter and i really liked the aftertaste so i was jw of one could really control aftertaste.
Aftertaste is generally connotative of a negative thing. You might try checking the How To Brew site and look up "Finish".

Some amount of tannins are desirable. All beers are astringent to a point. If not, the taste would fall off the tongue and disapear very quickly, and leave no aftertaste. There is a fine balance between being noticable and just right. And aftertaste is desirable, but once again to a point. you don't want to over do it.

well i am brewing a porter next and i would really like to get the aftertaste of flying dog scottish porter. any ideas to grab the aftertaste?

Back