DFH Raison d'Etre: Acidity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
I had Raison d'Etre for the first time last night (bottled) and I noticed a tartness/acrid sensation on my tongue similar to acidity. I found a recipe online that does not list any acid malt or ingredient to explain this attribute.

So my question is: Does this attribute come from the yeast or is there acid malt or some other ingredient involved?

The reason for the curiosity is that I like this property of the beer and would like to incorporate it at some point.

Fantastic beer BTW!:ban:

Belgian yeasts often will lend a tartness or acidity to a beer, especially the Brett and other "wild" strains.

Ah. That was one aspect that I was considering. I guess I could use a touch of acid malt to mimic the acidity.

You could, but it would be like microwaving a steak instead of grilling it, it will technically work, but it just isn't gonna come out right. Belgian yeasts are renowned for their characteristics, and replicating those will be quite difficult, why not just use a Belgian yeast strain?

You could, but it would be like microwaving a steak instead of grilling it, it will technically work, but it just isn't gonna come out right. Belgian yeasts are renowned for their characteristics, and replicating those will be quite difficult, why not just use a Belgian yeast strain?

Well, I am considering some of the dry Belgian strains, but I was more curious about adding a tartness to other recipes that wouldn't involve a Belgian yeast (ex: A tart English ale).

Thanks for the insight on this. I have 0 exp with Belgian yeasts. A saison would be interesting to do some day.

Back