Scorching!! Agh help plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I decided to use my new burner for my batch, it was the first time I used LME and just finished only to find scorching. My question is I know it will affect my beer, like everything will, but to what extent? Is there anything I can add/use/do at this point to help the beers flavor?? I figured keeping the wort moving and adding the LME slowly would be enough to prevent this but I was wrong unfortunantly. Oh well it a work in progress, chalk this up to lesson learned.

Did you taste the wort? I think thats the only way to tell how bad the problem is at this point. If it tastes scorched, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do about it.

To prevent this next time you might want to turn down (or off) the burner while you add the LME and stir until it's all disolved.

There is nothing you can do. I hope you made a really strong stout, where a slight scorched flavor may not be entirely unattractive. Mongo's suggestion is right on -- turn the heat way down when you add the LME, stir until it is completely dissolved. Then you can turn the heat up gradually.

i don't think your batch is ruined. how bad was the scorching? the beer will probably be darker and taste more like toast (if memory serves).

like everyone has said so far, take the pot off the burner before adding the LME. i generally let it cool to 170F before adding the LME. if you just turn off the burner or take the pot off the burner the pot is still VERY hot and will scorch the LME. 170F is still more than hot enough to dissolve the LME and pasteurize it and it wont take that long to get it back up to boiling temp.

i generally let it cool to 170F before adding the LME.

Or save some energy, and add the LME as you raise the temp of the water. Why bring the water to a boil, only to let it cool down, then have to raise the temp again?

I seem to recall that I typically used to add LME once the water was hot to the touch.

Back