Wheat beer Question (film on glass)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
Ok, I've only made 2 batches of wheat beer and I don't know if this is normal or not.... I have a finished (I think) batch of wheat beer in bottles that have been carbonating for 3 weeks or so with corn sugar. When I test one, it has a nice head, lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom, it tastes and smells fine, but as I drink it there is this opaque cloudy white film that coats the glass, similar to lace, but it isn't lace. Also, I've made other styles and have never seen this with any other homebrew.
I can only think of two reasons for this : Either the beer hasn't finished carbonating completely (maybe wheat beers take longer to carbonate), and the film is undisolved corn sugar. Or, since I didn't use any clarifying agents whatsoever, and didn't rack to secondary, it's some kind of protien coagulation or something.
Is this normal? What do you think it is, and is there a way to fix it?
Thanks.

***Sorry I accidently posted twice, and can't delete the other one. Please delete the other one if you can :)

It doesn't really show up on a picture, and what does looks like dried lace, but it isn't dried lace... This is basically an opaque film that lays flat on the glass, not bubbly and white like lace.

(Edit) I tried to post pics, and I don't think I can :( I think I have to be a paid member or have so many posts or something.

Ok, see if this works...

my.php

my.php

Dammit, let's try the url's...

#1 http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00016o.jpg

#2 http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00017d.jpg

Did you make sure the glass was perfectly clean? I would say about 50% of my beers look similar to this. Dont think theres really a problem :)

Yeah, the glass was clean, and I always handwash my glasses so thers's no dishwasher "haze". Normally I wouldn't care because it's mostly asthetic, it tastes fine, I was just curious because none of my other beers have done this, only the wheat beers.

I've made ipa's, pale ales, old ales, etc, and they've all left "normal" residue (lace). This isn't lace, it's like a film, and since only my wheat beers have done it, it has to either be the wheat malt, undisolved sugar, or lack of clarifying agents (I normally use whirlfloc and rack to secondary, but not with wheat beers). I've also never seen a commercial wheat beer leave this kind of haze, just trying to make the best beer I can, looks, taste, or otherwise :) Maybe it's because I didn't rack to secondary? I don't know

I would say as long as it tastes good.. F it! Unless your entering it into competition. You could always add malto dextrin or carapills to the beer if you are worried about head retention.

Back