Starter won't stop boiling over!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm doing my first starter as I type this. Everything started out fine until a few minutes into the boil when I look over in horror as foam spills all over my clean stove-top (gas btw). I switched over to a smaller burner and dropped it all the way down and it still is boiling over a little bit, but it's at least acceptable.

It's a 1200ml starter in a 2L Edelmeyer (sp?) flask. Should I just go with a bigger flask? Is there something I can add to the boil to keep it from boiling over?

On a semi-unrelated note, is it ok to immediately drop the hot flask into ice water or will it crack?

Thanks guys! I'm sure this will all work out, but as everything in homebrewing it seems like something HAS to go wrong the first time. :)

So I'm doing my first starter as I type this. Everything started out fine until a few minutes into the boil when I look over in horror as foam spills all over my clean stove-top (gas btw). I switched over to a smaller burner and dropped it all the way down and it still is boiling over a little bit, but it's at least acceptable.

It's a 1200ml starter in a 2L Edelmeyer (sp?) flask. Should I just go with a bigger flask? Is there something I can add to the boil to keep it from boiling over?

On a semi-unrelated note, is it ok to immediately drop the hot flask into ice water or will it crack?

Thanks guys! I'm sure this will all work out, but as everything in homebrewing it seems like something HAS to go wrong the first time. :)

size of ur flask is fine. I've done the full 2 l starter in the 2L flask. You can add anti-foam drops. Its ok to put immediately and directly to cold water assuming its borocilicate (sp?). Any flask should be. Just dont immerse past the pt of the liquid in the flask

Back