Should I Listen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dances

Reaction score
Help!!!

This is only my 6th post - still waiting for my first batch to finish fermentation and I am already addicted to this site.

You guys (oops...and girls) know far too much to take in this early in my addiction!

I cannot make my mind up whether to ferment for a looooong time or try just 2 weeks and then get it in a keg (it is a cheap lager kit - a present given as part of a kit) or to wait longer like most of you seem to suggest.

I am tempted to do the shorter so that I can do my next brew longer and see for myself what the difference is.

What do you think? Am I too impatient and approaching regret?

• You know the longer you leave it the better it'll be.
  • You also know you want to drink it as soon as you can
  • You also know you want to brew again as soon as you can.
I'd say that's two to one for 2 weeks then bottle or keg.

I would only do this if you realise it's not going to be the best beer it can be and that you will not be put off because of this.

If you are not that bothered about the latter to points then I'd say leave another week or go to secondary so you can start the next batch.

+1 on what orfy said. The urge to do the next brew and taste your first is overpowering. As long as you can accept that it will not be at it's best, then have at it.

I am currently having a similar problem myself. Not enough fermenters, I have decided to do 2 and a half weeks fermenting so that I can get the next brew done next week. It's not Ideal, and it will still age in the bottle, but until I can spring for more equipment, I HAVE to do it!! Not brewing is not an option for me. :(

Nice one guys - I am in total agreement that I can accept my first batch wont be the best ever so I think I will do just the two weeks as planned.

Only prob then is what to buy next (extract only for now as I am not experienced enough to do it from scratch with fresh grain).

Wow! Just noticed that Orfy is mega close to me and has 10,000+ posts!

Don't let the post count dazzle you. It's the post content that is 1000 x more important.

Where are you?
It's good to update you're location.

Have to say I have not recieved bad content yet!

I am very near to Congleton but a bit in the sticks. What about you?

Warrington.

Work in Winsford / Heald Green

Where are you buying supplies, what type of ingredients are you using?
How long before you go All Grain. :)

Brits?

You know I never look at locations but I should. It is interesting to see where everyone is from.

I agree with Gnome in that the urge to be done on the first batch is overpowering so I'm not going into launch a long post about why you should wait. I am on batch #5 and my patience has improved tremendously. But then I also have cold homebrews in the fridge so the pressure is off.

You said you were doing extract brewing from a kit so I assume its only extract or hopped extarct and no grain? For your next batch consider a recipe using extract, steeped grains and hops. It will taste way better than a kit and it's really, really easy.

Good luck,
Dennis

Everyones been there Dances.I still new to this and am just getting to the point of opening the first beer at 3-4 weeks instead of the last.It's just so hard to pay for beer when you already have a ****load of green ones.(that still taste better than most commercial)

Help!!!

This is only my 6th post - still waiting for my first batch to finish fermentation and I am already addicted to this site.

You guys (oops...and girls) know far too much to take in this early in my addiction!

I cannot make my mind up whether to ferment for a looooong time or try just 2 weeks and then get it in a keg (it is a cheap lager kit - a present given as part of a kit) or to wait longer like most of you seem to suggest.

I am tempted to do the shorter so that I can do my next brew longer and see for myself what the difference is.

What do you think? Am I too impatient and approaching regret?

I've been having a blast reading on here and looking at other folks brew set-ups - I need to start taking notes on all that's here.

I too started with a brew kit and I let mine ride. I began the process Christmas Day and didn't bottle for 3-weeks. Mine has been sitting in bottles since the 15th and is going for a cool down next week...My test sample out of the keg after 2 weeks and out of a bottle a couple of days ago was very, very encouraging....Perhaps add a week to the recommended time?

buy a second 6.5 gallon plastic bucket type fermenter for about $12.50. If you get the urge to brew and you already have one going... NO PROB! break out tank 2! (LOL just got my second bucket delivered today!)

Just got back to read the new posts on this thread since yesterday and I think from the comments I have recieved I might just have to invest in another fermenter and do another brew.
Just been to the shops to buy some beer for tonight which really hurt when I have just checked my first batch which is now at SG 1.006 and smelling REALLY good - man I cannot wait.
Orfy - I am just randomly shopping on the net as there are no shops around here that I know of that sell homebrew gear and before I start using grain I am going to have to do some serious revision on this site as I have no idea what to do.

If I'm not mistaken you said it was a lager kit? If so, then you would definitley benefit from letting it sit longer I think, unless you used ale yeast. But, I know it's hard to let that stuff sit long!

Back