another transplanting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobbins

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I planted 3 different types of hops in a raised bed last spring
I now realize it's going to be hard to tell who is who and I'd like to have more plants so I'm going to build 2 more raised beds and transplant some of the hops around so I have 1 type in each bed
I have no time constraints
when should I do this? fall after they die back, or next spring?
in general people say transplant trees/shrubs in the fall around here but the discussions I read here make me think folks are going to suggest spring for hops

Dave

I've read that the time to propagate hops is in the spring time, which would suggest to me that this would also be the ideal time to transplant them. I'm in the same situation, 3 varieties in a raised bed and next year they'll be one big mess if i don't spread 'em apart. combine that with the fact that I'd like to add another variety or two next spring as well....

I'd defer to those wiser than me however...

as far as propagation goes, you're right that you plant rhizomes in spring
I will mention though that I've taken 10 cutting off my plants this summer and every one is doing great :mug:

Dave

as far as propagation goes, you're right that you plant rhizomes in spring
I will mention though that I've taken 10 cutting off my plants this summer and every one is doing great :mug:

Dave

/OT How did you do that?

I'm too wondering if I can do it in the fall or if I have to wait for spring. I want to dump grains on them all winter and I wanted to transplant them this fall so they have a good layer of crap on top of them.

>>/OT How did you do that?

I just cut off side runners about 10" long and scraped the outer layer off the bottom inch or so of the stem. then I dipped them in rooting hormone which you get at a garden supply place and plant em in some potting soil. I've been rooting lots of stuff in the yard with excellent results, I'm amazed how easy it is. you GOTTA keep em damp while they're taking root

Dave

Spring time is when the rhizomes are dormant, so they can be shipped.

Hop plants are very good at advantageous rooting. You can just bury part of a plant & it will root. It is common for sidearms to take root if they are long enough to touch the ground.

I was intending to move mine completey to a new location. Now I have thought well, why not split them and use both locations and double my fun. So, in summary, is it ok for me to wait till fall, dig up the root balls, chop the bloody things in half and then bury them again? (Sorry for the horticultural techical jargon there)

....is it ok for me to wait till fall, dig up the root balls, chop the bloody things in half and then bury them again?

From what I've read about propogation, along with the fact that commercial farms only take cuttings in the spring has led me to plan on doing all of my fooling around underground as soon as the frost leaves the ground in the spring. I plan on taking rhizomes from my mature plant as well as raising it up before next year. I'm sure someone will disagree, but I don't recommend propogating before winter.

you need to realize that propogation can be done in different ways
as david 42 said, rhizomes are shipped in the spring because that's when they're dormant. but you can start new plants this time of year in several ways
taking sidearms and covering them with some dirt is easy but didn't serve my purpose because I also wanted to relocate the plants, so I went the cuttings route
if you start them now they have the advantage of getting a root system established so they're ready to take off next year
I'm new to all this, I'll let you folks know how my cuttings do next year, but so far they're putting out new growth and lookin good:mug:

Dave

if you start them now they have the advantage of getting a root system established so they're ready to take off next year
I'm new to all this, I'll let you folks know how my cuttings do next year, but so far they're putting out new growth and lookin good

I think that would be my concern... that any cuttings taken from side arms might not develop a full enough root system to make it through the winter. Still, i'm quite interested to see how that turns out, probably a bit too late in the season for me to try that now though, but if it works for you, I'll definitely do it earlier next year though. Great experiment.

I took my lowest side arms in the early summer and buried them, mounding soil up around them. This seems to have helped establish new root growth and indeed these put out more shoots after a few weeks themselves. I'm curious to know how these will look in the spring when i move them to other beds.

I did a variation of you mounding soil over sidearms, here's a pic

airlayer1.jpg

this is referred to as "air layering"
it works good because the new plants continue to get support from the parent while they get going
the problem is the limited amount of sidearms you have low enough to do this
so I did a couple this way and a bunch more with cuttings
either way you end up with a plant in a pot that can then be moved with minimal disturbance of the root system
your comment on this being an experiment got me thinking
next spring I'll order a couple of rhizomes so I can compare how they perform next to these guys:)
should be interesting

Dave

MY question is then, will these "soft wood" plantings continue to grow if you move them inside and keep them over winter? I think that they would do OK outside up until October and then have to move them inside to overwinter, but will they continue to grow inside and take over the home? All logic tells my they shouldn't, due to they being first year growth, right? Then if that is the case and they continue to grow through the winter will they still grow in season next spring through fall?

I have very healthy cascade and fuggles crops growing in my garden each at full potential with a ton of cones to be picked. I know that the "soft wood" cuttings will be hardy and grow well, I just dont want a jungle inside my home. Since I have found that Cascade to be a real producer I am going to strictly grow them and keep a few fuggles as they are heatlhy but produce less.

So back to the OG questions: will my hop growing inside become a jungle and will they grow overwinter and through the season next year?

-WW

I plan to put mine in the ground this fall and let them overwinter there.
my guess would be if you brought them inside they would still go dormant due to the reduced hours of light but that is just a guess
of course my winters are a lot milder that for some of you folks
I guess nothing to do but try it and see how it goes
I'll be really surprised if it doesn't work well

Dave

Dave, describe air layering a bit, i think i see what you did there, but i'm not sure i do.... yeah.... not sure i get it...... i like what i'm seeing though.

air layering is taking a branch or shoot of a plant and sticking it into a pot of dirt while leaving it attached to the parent. it continues to get energy from the parent plant while it is establishing new roots. you usually scrape the outer layer of the stem off on the section that's going to be in the dirt and apply some rooting hormone (called girdling).
it's usually done with a baggy instead of a pot the way I did it in that picture, that way you're not tied to staying near the ground
try googling it and you'll get much better descriptions than I can give

Dave

I dug up and transplanted some of my rhizomes last fall (as the leaves were dying back).
The transplanted ones all came up in the spring, and I've started harvesting this week.

Latest posts

Back