California V

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recover_E

Reaction score
Back story:

I am currently testing a ton of different recipes for a Scottish ale. I got tiered of trying to maintain 55-60 degree ferm temps with WL and WYeast scottish yeasts and noticed another brewer hade good clean results with WL Cali I at 65 (much easier for my set up to hold)

I mistakenly grabbed WL Cali V in a hurry and could not be more disappointed with the character.

Obviously the wrong choice for what I was trying to accomplish, but it got me thinking...

Anyone use this strain for a style and like the outcome? I really don't like the character but am sure thee has to be some kind of application where it shines. I'd hate to write off a strain with one bad experience.

Thanks!

Back story:

I am currently testing a ton of different recipes for a Scottish ale. I got tiered of trying to maintain 55-60 degree ferm temps with WL and WYeast scottish yeasts and noticed another brewer hade good clean results with WL Cali I at 65 (much easier for my set up to hold)

I mistakenly grabbed WL Cali V in a hurry and could not be more disappointed with the character.

Obviously the wrong choice for what I was trying to accomplish, but it got me thinking...

Anyone use this strain for a style and like the outcome? I really don't like the character but am sure thee has to be some kind of application where it shines. I'd hate to write off a strain with one bad experience.

Thanks!

I made an IPA with Cal Ale V / WLP051. It is a pain in the ass yeast to deal with. It was very temperature sensitivity and basically went on a hunger strike below about 65F. It's sulfury, low attenuating. On the plus, it's rather flocculent I do like the subtle fruitiness you get from it. However, an English yeast like WLP007 can do everything this can do and better so I see no reason to use 051.

I just don't like prissy yeast. There's far too many options in my opinion than to have to deal with fussy fungi.

Apparently White Labs won't accept new reviews for their yeasts. I tried to review it a month ago but they don't seem to be posting reviews. Which is a shame since I would avoid this yeast in the future.

I like cali v in ipas, pales, and wheats. The fruity flavors work well with citrusy late additions/dry-hop in my experience.

Agreed. When I'm not using Conan or 05, 1272 is my go to for IPAs. It's nice and clean too, with a hint of nuttiness if you run it on the cool side so I think it would work nice in a wee heavy style beer. That said, nothing can beat the subtle smoky and earthy tones from Scottish ale yeast, it's just super finicky yeast to work with.

I've used it with good results in IPAs, my results are similar to highgravitybacon's. If I recall, pitch counts were important as it tends to throw a fair amount of sulphur if it gets stressed. It's also a little finicky in the temperature department, and it's character changes quite a bit when fermented at the low & high end of its range. Cali V is said to be equivalent to Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II,) but I've noticed some slight differences in attenuation and flocculence although that may have been due to different conditions between batches.

Both are very similar to Bell's house yeast. In fact, I just brewed 10 gallons of a Two Hearted Ale clone split into two batches: pitched a 3rd generation Bell's slurry in 1, and 1272 in the other. Hard to tell the difference.

Both are very similar to Bell's house yeast. In fact, I just brewed 10 gallons of a Two Hearted Ale clone split into two batches: pitched a 3rd generation Bell's slurry in 1, and 1272 in the other. Hard to tell the difference.

I have done the same split (though not with a 2Htd clone) and found the same to be true. I'd be shocked if they weren't the same strain.

OP,
Just wondering why the Scottish yeast needed to be 55-62?. In fact WL does not recommend it go below 62. I just used wlp028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast, and it was pumping along fine until my house temp got a little cold and it seems like it came to a halt. I raised my home temp to 68 and it started back up again. Just wondering? I have used Cali V extensively in my Ipa's and enjoy good results. I don't find it sulfury while fermenting as some others have though.

OP,
Just wondering why the Scottish yeast needed to be 55-62?. In fact WL does not recommend it go below 62. I just used wlp028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast, and it was pumping along fine until my house temp got a little cold and it seems like it came to a halt. I raised my home temp to 68 and it started back up again. Just wondering? I have used Cali V extensively in my Ipa's and enjoy good results. I don't find it sulfury while fermenting as some others have though.

The Scottish strain (wlp28 or wy1728) can get pretty buttery when it's too warm. WL's recommended temps are usually pretty conservative when compared to Wy's equivalents. IME, the best way to handle this strain is to start cool, say 56-58 and then as fermentation slows, raise it 8-10 degrees to keep the yeast going and to allow them to clean up any diacetyl they may have produced.

Thanks for the info. This was the first time I've used wlp028. For some reason mine got stuck at 1.020 during week 2 when my fermenter temp dipped to 64 with no signs of action. I was worried it was finished there, but I brought it up a few degrees and it perked up and finished at 1.014 after a week. Maybe my temp gauge could be off a little to the warm side. I thought it was spot on though.

Back