Stanley Cup Playoffs 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i didnt say it wasnt the only thing that matters, i was just proving my argument that crosby is the best player in the league, and you dont have to win the cup to be the best player in the league. your team has to be better to win the cup.

Shmoo, my friend, the point I was making is that the whole "best player" thing is irrelevant.

Now get back on the ice Tuesday and kick some ass.

and if you weren't mentally retarded and knew how to read, you would know i was talking not winning the cup for a single person to be the best. and i obviously said the team has to be good to win the cup r-tard.

Exactly the type of post I was warning against. I don't care who you root for, but using the words retard and mentally retarded in talking to another forum member means you won't be around here to discuss beer, either.

NO NAME CALLING. What do I have to do to make it more clear?

The one thing I wish would happen is for the refs to call a penalty a penalty... for both sides. I hate the "let them play" BS. If it has a certain thing has been called a penalty all year then it should be called a penalty in the finals as well. There shouldn't be any changing of the rules or the way they are called just because people have an attitude of the refs get in the way and change a game. The teams need to play within the rules and if they don't, then I think they need to be penalized.

You mean
<-------------------------------- THIS cup?!!?? Yeah, it's a good one.

Hey Yoop! How did you get the cup up there? Did Drake bring it up to NMU? I have 6 Wings living in about a mile radius of me and I always missed whenever they dropped in with the cup somewhere. "You should have been here yesterday, Ken Holland brought the cup in!" :(

i was just proving my argument that crosby is the best player in the league, QUOTE]

Well, you didn't really prove anything. Crosby is a very, very good OFFENSIVE player. However, he is not even the best OFFENSIVE player on his team. That right goes to Malkin. So your arguement is already flawed. Then you have to look around the league. Head on over to Washington to find that special player. Then you look at the defensive side of the puck. Crosby does not play ANY defense at all. I mean look at his +/-. He is only a +3. He is on the ice for as many goals scored against his team is as he helps contribute. Look at Malkin. He is a +17.

While Crosby is a very, very good offensive player, he is not even the best player on his team. How can he be the best player in the league then?

What is sad is that the NHL should be pushing Malkin/Ovechkin on the public, not Crosby/Ovechkin....

yeah, but what kind of beer is that? a Coors Light?

Worse! It's Labatt's Light! That was our corporate sponsor for our hockey tournament (the USA National Pond Hockey Tournament). My teammate is on the left, I'm on the right. We won third, with the youngest one on our team at age 44. We're all a bunch of lightweight midgets, too, so we got pounded by some BIG young girls from Chicago in our last game. We held our own a bit, though, only losing by a couple of goals. This picture was taken this past February, so the 2008 Wings were all on it!

Hey Yoop! How did you get the cup up there? Did Drake bring it up to NMU? I have 6 Wings living in about a mile radius of me and I always missed whenever they dropped in with the cup somewhere. "You should have been here yesterday, Ken Holland brought the cup in!" :(

They brought the Cup to the Pond Tournament. I have a picture of my all of my teammates around the cup, and we're not even holding up beer in the picture.

I think Crosby is an amazing talent. He's strong, poised, fast, and athletic. I wouldn't call him the greatest- he still has a bit to prove to me before I call him "great". I think Malkin is every bit as good on the offensive side, as Ryan has said.

Fleury is a good goalie, but let's face it- some of those goals by the Wings have been cheap goals and an experienced goalie (like Osgood) would have never allowed them. Even the long shot by Abdelwhatever should have been seen from a long way off.

I think the Pens will take the next two, at home in Pittsburgh. They really did outplay the Wings in the first two periods of the first game.

You're not really a hockey fan, are you..

I'm not a fan of calling games one way the entire season and then changing the way the games are called just because someone says let them play. That is paramount to changing the rules in the middle of a game. It shouldn't be done!

I'm a fan of hockey! I prefer the international rules and rink, but I still love the NHL.

I'm a fan of hockey! I prefer the international rules and rink, but I still love the NHL.

It would be awesome if the NHL played in those big rinks. They had a chance to mandate it about 15-20 years ago before all of the new arenas were built. Unfortunately, they missed the boat.

i was just proving my argument that crosby is the best player in the league, QUOTE]

Well, you didn't really prove anything. Crosby is a very, very good OFFENSIVE player. However, he is not even the best OFFENSIVE player on his team. That right goes to Malkin. So your arguement is already flawed. Then you have to look around the league. Head on over to Washington to find that special player. Then you look at the defensive side of the puck. Crosby does not play ANY defense at all. I mean look at his +/-. He is only a +3. He is on the ice for as many goals scored against his team is as he helps contribute. Look at Malkin. He is a +17.

While Crosby is a very, very good offensive player, he is not even the best player on his team. How can he be the best player in the league then?

What is sad is that the NHL should be pushing Malkin/Ovechkin on the public, not Crosby/Ovechkin....

they might push malkin/ovechkin a little more if malkin knew more than like 50 words of english haha

Yes, it was obvious that Dupuis broke his own stick by hitting Hossa's skate.

Take a look at the video from CBC:
KuklasKorner : Abel to Yzerman : More Fun With Hockey Sticks

I didn't see any slash during the game, and we had the DVR switched off (because the DISH Network NBC feed sucks) and just had the over-the-air broadcast, but I still didn't see any slash. That video clearly shows the stick broke due to being swept into Hossa's skate.

Pens fans need to get over the whole penalties not being called. It's gone both ways and is a part of playoff hockey each and every year (I get a lot of experience watching the past 17 seasons).

Also, posts don't count. It only counts when they go in the net. I hear so much "Well, we hit the post three times or it would have been 4-3!" or whatever. No, everything changes at that point. Also, you could have missed one inch the other way and just would have been a miss.

One thing I noticed this season, that I expected to be different is that it seems like Pittsburgh is still relying on Crosby too much. Crosby and Malkin and a just a few major players. It's not as hard to defend a team when you kind of know who will be taking the shots, or where the pucks going to go.

Frankly, I was a bit scared that they would be scoring goals from the unknowns, or third and fourth lines.

Well, they will have the advantage at home, and I fully expect a loud and lively crowd. Could be a good battle.

Oh, yeah, and it's on VERSUS, so I can watch in HIGH DEF, BABY!!

Great game even though the Wings lost. Now we just need to teach those refs how to count, 6 skaters in the offensive zone, even SWMBO caught that!

Penguins can play!!!
The Yankees, oops meant Red Wings, may have a tougher series then expected...

I don't think it will be a tougher series thAn expected...I was expecting a pretty tough series to begin with. Home ice has lots of advantages, which we've all seen now.

And how are the Wings like the Yankees? I'm curious to hear why you make that analogy.

Loved the hockey in the 3rd, good pace.

Didn't this happen last year???? And Who took the cup, the same team the deserves it this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO WINGS!

Apparently you can't teach a zebra to count to 6. Good game, it just would be nice to see some consistency from those wearing a orange armband.

Apparently you can't teach a zebra to count to 6. Good game, it just would be nice to see some consistency from those wearing a orange armband.

i thought they called a very good game, i mean they did miss that to many men but they didn't see it and the wings didn't see it until it was too late. i dont think they are calling the very borderline penalties which is good. both teams got their powerplays but the penguins got 2 goals out of them. fleury was a lot more solid that game. osgood was good too he obviously didn't see that shot from gonchar coming. the big hits from the pens looked like it started to wear the wings down at times there, and created a few turnovers, and thats how you have to play the wings. hopefully the pens come out with the same type of style on thursday to tie up the series.

lets go pens

And how are the Wings like the Yankees? I'm curious to hear why you make that analogy.

Your kidding right? They are stacked by buying half the talent in the league! That's the parallel I was after

I'm just glad we have a series, it wasn't looking good after game 2.

The difference in this game was Fluery didn't suck. much. after the first.

The stacked team/Yankees reference is not accurate. NHL has a salary cap. You can't really go out and buy a team.

And, as predicted earlier, there are more Wings fans are posting here, now that they have figured out that their team is in the finals.

Your kidding right? They are stacked by buying half the talent in the league! That's the parallel I was after

I'm just glad we have a series, it wasn't looking good after game 2.

Really?!?!?!?
Current players drafted by Detroit:
Osgood
Franzen
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Lidstrom
Kronwall
Filppula
Holmstrom
Hudler
Kopecky
Ericsson
Abdelkader
Helm
Meech

Looks like they drafted pretty damn well!

Yeah, I love when people try to make that analogy without realizing there's a salary cap.

Makes it even more impressive that both Detroit and Pittsburgh are back in the finals.

Refs did ok last night. Standard missed calls. I was practically yelling for them to catch the too many men, but Pittsburgh got the extra off before they caught it.

I think Pittsburgh played better defensively last night, while Detroit seemed to be off a bit. Still it was a pretty even match again and pretty exciting. Both my wife and I had the same thought at one point, "Is it still just the first period?" Lots of action crammed in there.

I think the Wings who was sliding over to block that one goal should have done a better job. I expect them to risk injury or death to stop a goal! Going down on a knee didn't cut it.

I'm not a total idiot, I realize there is a salary cap. I guess the word I should have used was "have" not "bought" but it was late
One of our junior A guys said the same thing at practice last night. It's more of a compliment then a dis, Detroit is a helluva organization.

Which is why I want to see them go down!:cross:

I'm not a total idiot, I realize there is a salary cap. I guess the word I should have used was "have" not "bought" but it was late
One of our junior A guys said the same thing at practice last night. It's more of a compliment then a dis, Detroit is a helluva organization.

Which is why I want to see them go down!:cross:

Which is why Detroit can get someone like Hossa to come in for less money. Ken Holland has done a great job putting this team together - past, present and future. Guys like Ericsson, Helm and DarthKbader wouldn't be up if it weren't for injuries, but they've shown that they can play with the big boys. Holland doesn't believe in pushing the youngsters too fast unless it's absolutely necessary. Let them tear it up in Grand Rapids and when they get to Detroit they can step right in.

Back