Amber - (or Amber-ish) - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
9 lbs 2-row
1 lb Victory
1 lb Crystal 40L
2 oz. Chocolate Malt

1 oz. Chinook @ 60
0.5 oz. Cascade @ 20
0.5 oz. Cascade @ 5

Beer Calculus has it at:

OG - 1.055
FG - 1.013
47 IBUs
14 SRM

I'm looking for something Amber-ish with some hop to it. Any thoughts?

I think I might double the chocolate and make the final addition of cascades at flame out and a full ounce. But it looks pretty good.

Probably too much victory for my taste. I used 0.75 lb in a pale ale and I could really taste it. It's like bread crust.
I'd also split the crystal, maybe half and half 40 and 75.

I'd dump the Victory entirely, add a quarter-pound each of 90L and 120L Crystal, and think real hard about the Chocolate malt; if you plug the darker crystals into your software, you might find the Chocolate unnecessary to get your desired color.

American Amber Ale, remember, is American Pale Ale with a firm to emphatic crystal/caramel malt note. Same basic hops profile, same strengths in OG - just that crystal/caramel malts should be instantly noticeable. See the style writeup in the HBT Wiki.

Cheers,

Bob

I'd do 4oz Victory, 8oz Cara 40, 8oz Cara 60, 4 oz Cara 80... but that's just because I *like* Victory malt, and don't like Cara 120 at all.

The 2 oz of Choco malt is take or leave... I used 2oz in my thrown-together Bitter last week for a little bump to the color.

LOL - you asked for it. I think the problem with this kind of post is that there are SO many opinions and no right answer.

Looking at my recipes I have never use 1lb of Victory - it's always 1/2lb o 1/4lb but that does not say that 1lb is wrong at all!

Victory is used for it's aroma and is great for Nut Brown ales with it's toasty, biscuity, nutty flavors and aroma. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!

Don't get me wrong; Victory is a fabulous malt! As Grinder noted, it provides lots of bready, biscuity overtones - in other words, it adds weight to the malt-hammer. What I'm advising is this: if you want "amber-ish", go after the characteristics of amber. Amber = crystal/caramel, not bread/biscuit. However, with crystal malts included in the grist, the addition of a small amount of Victory might be just different enough to be interesting.

Bob

It looks on track to be like Jamil's west coat style amber. The only thing it's missing is some 120L. It's a bit too bright in the IBU's for my taste and I like hoppy ambers. I'd shoot for 35 IBU and move the late additions to 1oz each at 15 and 0.

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciates as I continue to learn this art!

BobNQ3X - maybe instead of "amber-ish," I'll go for "victory-ish"!

Grinder and Brewsmith - the most I've used is 1/4 lb. also, but for some reason I was feeling Victorious when I was playing around with this recipe!

Bobby_M and jackson - I'll probably try that hop schedule; I haven't done a "0" addition yet (either 5's or dry is the closest I've done)

Chriso - that was my thought on the chocolate as well - just a little color bump (p.s. Go Big Red!)

Back