Infection problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew hoperator

Reaction score
Recently I brewed 2 batches (ales) that became infected after full fermentation took place. A white layer would form over the beer and gave off a cidery aroma and the taste was bad to say the least. So I am fairly certain these were infected batches.

I am very diligent in sanitation and making sure that I clean all equipment that comes in contact with the wort. I am planning to throw away all tubing that I use to siphon and I was wondering if I should toss the auto siphon as well? Apart from trying to be even more diligent on my sanitation, are there other helpful hints to keep this from happening again.

Additional Info:
I use Oxyclean and Starsan.
I ferment in buckets.

Thanks!

Maybe try new buckets too. Scratches can harbor bugs, and causing scratches in a bucket is pretty easy. Glass carboys or plastic better bottles are nice upgrades from buckets. I think the tubing replacement is a good first step, but your autosiphon is probably not needing replacement right away.

any updates on this?

as one who is working to solve an infection issue, i would be curious how / if you solved this?

I switched to a glass carboy and changed my tubing and I did not have a repeat of the infection so far. I just transferred to secondary and I did not see anything like I had when I used my buckets. I think the buckets were the source of the infection, now I am strictly a glass carboy and better bottle person.

Good to hear you found the problem! Those things could potentially cause someone to quit brewing. Cheers:mug:

I would hope a little thing like an infection problem WOULDN'T cause someone to wimp out and quit brewing...It's just a problem to be solved...you replace hoses, and anything scratched, and you switch sanitizers. It's inevetable that as our equipment gets used the potential for an infected batch increases. It's not the end of the world.

I was listening to a basic brewing podcast with Dan Carey, Brewmaster of New Glarus Brewery and he mentioned that they average commercial brewery has about a 3-4 year grace period before infection issues occur...but infected batches DO happen in comercial breweries, so why should we not believe it's possible in our home breweries...

It's just highly unlikely that a brand new brewer will infect their first batch or first few batches, it's more likely someone like me will have it happen, as our equipment gets funky...

Real Ale brewing in Blanco upgraded their brewhouse over the summer and I have heard that they have been having a horrendous time with infections since. Tossing 30bbls of barleywine really REALLY has to suck bigtime.

Glad you found the issue and nailed it to the wall! :mug:

Back