High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjbunton

Reaction score
Here is what I brewed exported from Brewer's Friend:

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons

Expected STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 6.11%
IBU (tinseth): 31.87
SRM (morey): 29.05

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Dark - (late addition) (29.3%)
3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Amber - (late addition) (29.3%)
3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Amber (29.3%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
8 oz - American - Chocolate (4.9%)
2 oz - American - Roasted Barley (1.2%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (4.9%)
2 oz - Belgian - Special B (1.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Domestic Hallertau for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 3.9, IBU: 14.8)
1 oz - Fuggles for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 17.07)

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

So then my question is, it says my expected OG was 1.065 when taking the actual reading I came up with 1.070, what could have made this happen? Is it just greater efficiency from the steeping grains?

Pic of OG reading:
imag0199-58075.jpg

You're not that far off. It's only .005

You should be fine.

reasons - boil time, temperature adjustment Vs specific gravity reading, slight inaccuracies in measurement -

Actually, for all practical purposes, you're dead-on.

I would think its likely because maybe you didn't add the correct amount of water to bring your boil size of 3.5 gal. up to your batch size of 5.5 gal. Maybe you were a little short on the extra water. Your OG reading would indicate that you have slightly more sugar in the recipe than what is expected.

One of 3 things. You didn't reach the correct final volume, your sample was outside the calibration of the hydrometer and not corrected for, or third (and most likely) your top off water was not mixed in entirely and gave you a false high reading. If you put in the all the ingredients in the recipe and the recipe's OG was properly calculated AND you hit the proper final volume, then its pretty hard to miss the original gravity. Usually when you add top off water it is next to impossible to get it completely mixed in and gravity readings will be inaccurate.

Ok after about 3 and 1/2 weeks in the primary I took a FG came up 1.019, pretty close to what I was shooting for. Will take another few readings between now and Saturday and if steady will bottle then while SWMBO is out of town. The taste from the hydrometer test jar was pretty good, really looking forward to this one.

Back