Manifold: PVC VS Copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggy_fenton

Reaction score
I've been searching the forum and have found a couple threads that touch on this subject but haven't really found a difinitive answer one way or the other. I want to build a cheap and easy manifold for my Mashtun. My question is: Will PVC hold up to mashing temps over time? Is it safe? Or should I just avoid the possible hassles and use copper? Any input would be great! Thanks!

I wouldn't use PVC (will not hold up to temps), but CPVC is fine. I use copper but it seems to be a 'whichever you prefer' kind of decision as either will work.

If it were me I would use the copper to make a manifold, CPVC might hold up, but why chance it when you KNOW copper will. Yes it is an extra expense and not as easy to work with (although it is pretty easy), but it is the right material for the job and I am always one for using the right thing for any given project, especially when we are talking about making beer.

If you aren't wedded to the manifold design, a simpler way to go is the SS braid for false bottom (this is what I use), but some guys have reported that they have channeling issues during the sparge (from what I gather this is more of a problem for those who batch sparge) but I have not experienced this myself.

I use a stainless braid inside a 10 gallon Home Depot water cooler. I batch sparge with it and get 80%+ efficiency and it makes great beer. Simple, easy, & highly recommended.

MLT_inside.jpg

get a really long braid, and some copper fittings...make a circular manifold...supposed to be a little nicer than a straight braid.
Palmer's book has some info on exact parts and why you want it fairly equidistant from the outside edge of teh mash tun.

Regular PVC is definately out, it'll leech out chemicals at or close to mashing temps. I use the braid, it's easy but I must say my efficiency sucks (I blame the crush, though).

the_bird said:
Regular PVC is definately out, it'll leech out chemicals at or close to mashing temps. I use the braid, it's easy but I must say my efficiency sucks (I blame the crush, though).

I hear ya there. We need to get some mills made up and go in on some bulk grain!

Couple of thoughts:

If you do only batch sparging, you can use a super short piece of braid, which will allow your runoff to clear quicker (less surface area)

I thought I wanted super clear runoff, so if I use a manifold, I'd never get there. I don't use either, I use a fine s/s screen.

Thanks for all the replies, I did originally mean CPVC, just in a hurry typing. I suppose the alternatives are worth the extra effort and cost. I just tend to get a
little lazy sometimes! :)

I didn't think copper was all that spendy. You need one piece, about 4 feet long, and about 5 or 6 little elbows for a half a buck a piece. When I priced it out, I didn't see any reason to bother with cpvc except that it cuts easier which may be a factor if you are lazy and also aren't using power tools to cut the slots. With the copper, without power tools, you at least need a bench vice. But every man should have one of those anyway.

I went with CPVC for my 70qt cooler. I originally used a SS braid that I carried over from a smaller cooler. I quickly found that the braid couldn't handle the additional weight of grains and water that a 10 gallon batch required. I figured CPVC was cheaper and easier to work with, but I can always upgrade to copper down the road after tweaking my manifold design.

iggy_fenton said:
I've been searching the forum and have found a couple threads that touch on this subject but haven't really found a difinitive answer one way or the other. I want to build a cheap and easy manifold for my Mashtun. My question is: Will PVC hold up to mashing temps over time? Is it safe? Or should I just avoid the possible hassles and use copper? Any input would be great! Thanks!

CPVC is rated against boiling temps. If you really want to use PVC and are concerned about heat, this is the way to go. I know a lot of people that just use regular PVC and don't have any problems at all though.

I made a PVC manifold for a 5 gallon watercooler I used on my 1st AG batch. I upgraded to a 70 qt. cooler and only had to add two longer side pieces to make it fit the larger cooler. I haven't had any problems with heat. I don't think I've had any problems with chemicals leaching out during mashing. I just get this twitch sometimes.
PVC was a cheap way to go and works fine for me. I'm not saying it's right or better, just that it works.

I'd personally be too paranoid to go with regular PVC. There has to be a reason (other than corporations being greedy for more money :D ) that CPVC was made. I'm still in school and just had the second installment of organic chemistry. The polymers were really interesting and REALLY CONCERNING. I would not use PVC just in case. That being said, its used by some with out effecting the flavors apparently. What ever may be leaching out though of those plastics is too great a concern for me, I don't have kids yet but I'd like them to come out as functional as possible when I do. If CPVC is temp rated high enough, then its worth the extra few bucks. Why try to save money on brewing equipment if it will potentially cause greater negative health effects than the alcohol you're creating :drunk: . Anyways, time to check my apfelwein for blow off and time to refill my glass with some wit :mug:

[bump]

With the SS braid, is there ever any risk that the braid will collapse with about 30 lbs of grain in a rectangular cooler?

I've been using a 10 gal rubbermaid and false bottom which works awesome. But, when I've done 10 gal mashes of bigger beers I had to do two separate mashes, which isn't ideal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorinated_polyvinyl_chloride

Both pvc and cpvc are used throughout new homes for potable water transfer. Plus, all of our fermenting buckets are made with the stuff, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about leaching chemicals.

BTW, I just made a cpvc manifold for a 48qt cooler. It costs $1.40 for a 5ft length, and about 0.80 for 4 elbows, and 0.90 for 3Ts.

Back