I made science! And Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbmikey

Reaction score
OK so 2 nights ago I made science... and beer!

I took a can of Mr Beer Canadian Country Draft HME and used 1 lb of briess light DME instead of that crappy Booster. I also used a total of 1/2 oz of Hallertau (1/4 oz at 5 minutes and 1/4 oz at flameout) hops and 3/4 packet of Munton's basic dry yeast.

It all went together with no problems as far as I can tell and is happily fermenting under the kitchen sink in a cool dark place. I even convinced the wife to help! I'll do some quality assurance testing at one week, then again at 2 weeks to make sure it's done. My next purchase will be a hydrometer so for now I'm relying on SWMBO's keen sense of taste to detect any sweetness.

Enjoy the pics! The last pic was taken about 24 hours after pitching and shows a nice krausen.

OK so let's try the pics again!

IMG_2989.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

Be sure to get that hydrometer before doing anything further with the beer! While I'm sure the SWMBO is awesome, she will not be able to detect potential bottle bombs, unless of course she is the blonde bombshell:)!

Be sure to get that hydrometer before doing anything further with the beer! While I'm sure the SWMBO is awesome, she will not be able to detect potential bottle bombs, unless of course she is the blonde bombshell:)!

This is my 3rd MB batch and I haven't had any bottle bombs yet! She is quite the bombshell though I am a bit jaded!

:rockin:

Well 16 days in the little brown keg and I just finished getting it all bottled up. Nothing really to show so no pics. 2 weeks carbing and 2 weeks conditioning before I try any of it! Brewing up Price Ludwig Lager next!

OK... 48 hour update. I bottled in the PET bottles and as of right now I'd say it's 90% carbed already. The bottles are very firm to a squeeze. I'm hoping this will be ready to go for the 1st weekend in October for a birthday cookout for me and the dad out-law!

If your beer comes out good at that point,he may indeed become an IN law! I miss my dad in law. He told me once while we worked on th eomega for my son,that I was like the son he never had. Such a heart felt honor is awsome. My bil is a clean nailed,rich guy sort who'd never work on cars & printing operations with his father like I did when I started dating his daughter. I knew her since 1st grade./ Her mom was in love when Sharon told them who I was upon meeting them for the 1st time. So never say never...good beer between folks is a great ice breaker. Here's hopin :mug:

I was lost at the "I made science" part. Were you listening to Thomas Dolby? She Blinded Me With Science.....Laurie Anderson? Big Science.... Beer? Maybe. Science? Not so sure about that. Just think of the science you'll make once you get a hydrometer..... Nice pot. Have fun and enjoy the beer you're brewing.

Thanks union but I call them that because we're so close. My outlaws are awesome, they treat me and my kids better than most of my own immediate family does.

Vlad that was more or less a joke between a buddy and me. We get yeast to ferment stuff and make beer, therefore we made science!

I'm waiting on an Amazon gift card now, that will be used to get a sugar measure, a hydrometer (and a spare) and ingredients for the next next batch!

An update here. We cracked open the last 2 (pic attached, photobucket is blocked at work!) from this batch. By far they were the tastiest out of the bunch. I must say the Hallertau hops gave it a gross dirt-y aftertaste/bite after swallowing. I won't be using those anymore. Too bad I now have 3/4 oz left that will get thrown away. Overall though the beer was tasty but SWMBO didn't approve all that much. She drank it because I was excited about it and we were out of BMC. I have a batch of Prince Ludwig Lager that is ready for bottling tonight. So 3-4 weeks and I'll be drinking that. I pulled a taste 3 or 4 nights ago and offered some to the wife. Her first response was "Mmmmm! Not bad at all!" so I have high hopes for this batch!

I'm waiting for an Amazon gift card (gotta love Harris polls) that I will use to buy my next batch of ingredients right now.

Cheers! :mug:

Homebrew.jpg

I've never had Haulertauer hops taste anything like that. Maybe they weren't that fresh/too old. Or maybe a combination of the extracts used made the hops taste different. Haulertauer always has a smooth spicey taste to me.

There was a spice there too but also a dirt-y or earth-y taste was there. It did mellow out a lot but I do know I didn't like it!

You want my 3/4 oz? :D

Hey,if you don't want,sure. ;) I was also remembering hoe fuggle has that earthy quality too. Maybe the extracts used help bring that out? I have noticed that malts used can make different flavors with regard to the hops.

I sold one of my old Mr Beer kits to a buddy and we did a can of West Coast Pale Ale and 1lb of Light DME (plus a little booster just to boost the abv). Then used US-05 for yeast. It was very very good. He's already upgrading to 5 gallon batches after how well it turned out.

Latest posts

Back