Opinions on my fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
I have an American Wheat that has been going for 7 days and I just don't know if it is where it needs to be yet. Beersmith thinks based upon my SG that my FG should be lower than it is. I have corrected for temp and it is off. It tasted fine when I stuck a sanitized baster in. Here are the specs

Batch Size: 5.10 gal
Boil Size: 3.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011 SG (1.008-1.015 SG)

6.60 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00%] (60 min) Hops
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00%] (5 min) (Hops
2 Pkgs Munton's Yeast-Ale

Actual OG: 1.043
FG Reading this Morning 1.016

I have never used this yeast and I pitched at around 80F put it in my chiller to get it around 64-66F. Woke up to a massive krausen and had to put in a blow-off! it went nuts for 2 days and has been very quite since. Should I stir it up a bit to see if I can get a few point drop or just let it be for a few more days?

Don't get in a hurry. Let it go another week. Once active visible fermentation has stopped, the yeast is still working. It is cleaning up some of the esters it created during the early stages of reproduction and fermentation as well as slowly digesting some of the longer chain sugars. There is no concern about leaving the beer on the yeast too long. Fears of autolysis are overblown. You would need to leave the beer in primary for a minimum of 6-8 weeks before it might even start to be a problem. This beer will probably be drunk and mostly forgotten about by then. Just be patient.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

I try to go 10 days in the primary if I can, but I just racked to 2ndary at 8 becuase I need my primary to bottle my IPA with. You're very close to your target, I say let it go a few more days, take a hydrometer sample and rack away

I racked to secondary after seven days and now my hefe is a great golden color. I was just happy that my first brew tasted like beer when I tasted it at transfer. It's steady in my lagerator now at about 62*F. I'll probably move it to bottles at the end of next week.

By the way, I notice activity pretty much completely stop after about 4 days and if I had thought about it I probably would have been a little more worried.

Back