Top 10 Beer states

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad I moved to Colorado 6 years ago. Here in Colorado Springs I got started brewing in a brewery! They even let me brew their own recipies and then tweak them to my taste. Any time I need advice I can just go in, have a beer and talk away. So, I feel like I'm a padawan learning from a team of Jedi.

Colorado Beer FTW! :rockin:

Washington gets a picture of a cat and discussion of Mike's hard Lemonade. WTF? This is dumb.

annasdadhockey said:
I'm a little surprised PA didn't make the top ten. Maybe they came in 11th?

Craft beer is just starting to blow up here. With the exception of Philly that is established. If you counted the craft beer that we import it could be up there. I can't complain about selection. Maybe in the future PA will be there.

Boo, can't believe Vermont beat us out!!
I'm surprised California did too. WTF, ok so there are amazing beers from California, but the state (as a whole) lacks real beer culture. Not only that, even our sleaziest, dankest strip clubs have craft beer on tap. In CA if the girls drop their panties, beer can't be served.

I think a lot of people are missing the criteria they took into a account. Any single one of us could come up with a different list, if we we used different criteria. They took into account many factors, including mega-breweries (which is beer, whether you like it or not), and also per-capita factors which favor lower population states. NY has about 4 times the amount of breweries that Vermont has, with far higher total output, but NY also has 30 times the population of Vermont. This wasn't a "Top Ten Craft Beer States" list.

Right, but if it was CO would be tops and then you would have your pick for silver and gold among the PacNW.

I want to visit all ten.

I'd be curious to see the top ten WORST states for beer, Kansas has to be in the top 5. I know of about 5 micro-breweries statewide?

I think a lot of people are missing the criteria they took into a account. Any single one of us could come up with a different list, if we we used different criteria. They took into account many factors, including mega-breweries (which is beer, whether you like it or not), and also per-capita factors which favor lower population states. NY has about 4 times the amount of breweries that Vermont has, with far higher total output, but NY also has 30 times the population of Vermont. This wasn't a "Top Ten Craft Beer States" list.

Hey you, stop it with all your logical argument and stuff! It really gets in the way of all the misplaced state pride and posturing that are vital to this type of thread!!! :p

I do have to ask though, why the F is Iowa not on this list?!?!?

haha, the article said Pike's Peak was on the Coors can. The actual mountain is near Telluride but I forget what it's called.

Hey you, stop it with all your logical argument and stuff! It really gets in the way of all the misplaced state pride and posturing that are vital to this type of thread!!! :p

I do have to ask though, why the F is Iowa not on this list?!?!?

Ok fine, I really meant to say NY is number #1!!! Seriously, I'd give it to Colorado if we only judged craft. My favorite brewpub though is actually in NY, and its not even close to local for me so I'm not just going off of frequency of visits.

Can I vote for Texas to be in the bottom ten? Is that allowed?

In a big city like Dallas, you would think we would have a few great breweries. There is Franconia in McKinney, but as far as I know, it is VERY small, and Rahr and Sons in Ft Worth. My fav Texas brewery is Saint Arnolds, but in a huge state like Texas, you would expect to have much more. I wonder if there are any regulations making it harder on Breweries in Texas?

CA baby! within a 30 minute drive i can hit RRB (one block down), lagunitas, healdsburg, 3rd street, moylans, and an easy 10 others... in addition to several beirgardens...

beer is taking over wine country.

Pennsylvania not being on this list is pretty pathetic. Considering Philly makes most of these lists when speaking of cities, by default PA should at least be on the list.

Delaware is on based on 1 brewery, thats pretty pathetic.

Come to Fishtown and I'll show you around, everything in Fishtown and Northern Liberties is beer centric its pretty awesome. And its growing by the day.

I mean Victory is a pretty fabulous brewery just to name one, probably one of the best in the state if not the best. Try the HopDevil and Prima Pils for your session ales, but you cant miss the Storm King and Golden Monkey.

The list is flawed, but it seems to have sparked a good conversation. I live in pa and while we do have some great breweries we truly shine with our craft beer bars. Monks is world famous, but check out the spinnerstown hotel. They have bottles of adam and fred from the wood!
And just on the back of founders michigan should be top ten.

Back