What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried nutrient or energiser?

In short, it is believed that my recipe had too many grains that created a highly acidic stout. It's an extract recipe with most of the specialty grains that are acidic (dark mostly). So yeast nutrient wouldn't work and they said not to bother with energizer. I brewed this on 10/12. Anyway, the chalk should help with the pH. If it doesn't then I need to either just accept it or dump it. I don't think it's a dumper. My calculations said 36.5 g of chalk, I went with 33 g just in case I was wrong about the total amount of liquid.

Drinking more water.

Hello said:
In short, it is believed that my recipe had too many grains that created a highly acidic stout. It's an extract recipe with most of the specialty grains that are acidic (dark mostly). So yeast nutrient wouldn't work and they said not to bother with energizer. I brewed this on 10/12. Anyway, the chalk should help with the pH. If it doesn't then I need to either just accept it or dump it. I don't think it's a dumper. My calculations said 36.5 g of chalk, I went with 33 g just in case I was wrong about the total amount of liquid.

Drinking more water.

Was this your own recipe? Or from a kit?

Drinking more water.

I've never used chalk, but I've heard that it is really, really hard to dissolve so the case might be that a large portion of the chalk you added didn't even make it into solution. I would look into alternative means of increasing pH, such as baking soda.

Hello said:
In short, it is believed that my recipe had too many grains that created a highly acidic stout. It's an extract recipe with most of the specialty grains that are acidic (dark mostly). So yeast nutrient wouldn't work and they said not to bother with energizer. I brewed this on 10/12. Anyway, the chalk should help with the pH. If it doesn't then I need to either just accept it or dump it. I don't think it's a dumper. My calculations said 36.5 g of chalk, I went with 33 g just in case I was wrong about the total amount of liquid. Drinking more water.
It may be more of an effort then you want, but if you make a starter and build it up by adding small amounts of the stout and pitch it that should do the trick! I had the same problem with a stout extract and specialty grain recipe. Though I just racked it into a secondary on top of cocoa nibs and left it for a month.

One of these pretty soon! PM me if you'd like to trade Darkness for something I'm looking for

2013-10-28 14.14.12.jpg

speeddemon190 said:
I never thought about trying that...sounds delicious, I might have to hit the liquor store on the way home from work tonight

It's like candy.

Tastes better with pineapple juice.

I've never used chalk, but I've heard that it is really, really hard to dissolve so the case might be that a large portion of the chalk you added didn't even make it into solution. I would look into alternative means of increasing pH, such as baking soda.
I was given the choice between the chalk and the baking soda but I did boil water, mix the chalk up as well as I could then pitched that and yeast and did a little swirl.

It may be more of an effort then you want, but if you make a starter and build it up by adding small amounts of the stout and pitch it that should do the trick! I had the same problem with a stout extract and specialty grain recipe. Though I just racked it into a secondary on top of cocoa nibs and left it for a month.
I could do that. I think now that with adding chalk and re-pitching, I will likely not do anything more. Eventually I am going to take a beer that seems to taste good (though a bit green) and foc it all up. Right now I feel like I can at least pretend it was all okay and I didn't really intend for it to hit FG below 1.030. :D Then again, I could be wrong and someone can yell at me and say to never bottle beer at 1.030. ;)

Drinking Pepsi...just to stay on topic.

speeddemon190 said:
have you tried it with coke? wonder how that would taste

Nah, I haven't.

I like it better with juice.

Doesn't even taste like an alcoholic drink. Just tastes like candy. Super dangerous. I drank half a bottle on a boat in the Bahamas 2 yrs ago and it was so good I had to bring some bottles of it back to the States. I also haver Mango rum which is outstanding.

has anyone had leinenkugels red lager? i have a sixer at home in the fridge and ive never had it. it sits next to winter ale and a belgian wit

speeddemon190 said:
have you tried it with coke? wonder how that would taste

It works well with coke or sprite as well. I love it with cranberry though. Or you can have a sex in the beach sub coconut rum (pineapple and cranberry).

LotM b2, finally rebrewing BdC.

LotM b3 was dry hopped Friday late and will probably get bottled later this week.

Cool picture.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm making for supper tonight so I can hit the store before heading home.

My sister texted me and said she wants to brew a batch of stout to fill my whiskey barrel. Ambitious of her, I don't think she's ever made more than a 10 gallon batch. 36 gallons is a lot of beer. I'll have to go over recipes with her tonight.

Drinking an iced coff.

Cool picture.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm making for supper tonight so I can hit the store before heading home.

My sister texted me and said she wants to brew a batch of stout to fill my whiskey barrel. Ambitious of her, I don't think she's ever made more than a 10 gallon batch. 36 gallons is a lot of beer. I'll have to go over recipes with her tonight.

Drinking an iced coff.

Thanks. Installed the Pixlr Express App Nuke mentioned.

36 gallons ain't scheet when you got Blingmann! :D

Got the vanilla stout bottled, including a liter in a Tired Hands growler ;), cold crashing more brett to send out, and now have 9 cases of beer in the 'warm room' aka bedroom closet. Good beer day here!

Also put myself down for 20 gallons of fresh pressed cider for this Sunday. New cidery (is that the right term?) in Asheville is hosting the homebrew club there for pressing. I've been meaning to join as $20 comes with a lot of cool events like this one where the first 5 gallons is on the club for members. Should be $1-$1.50 a gallon after that. Doing 6 gallons wild, 4 are going in the fridge to drink, and then doing two 5 gallon batches for a friend with Celiac's. Probably splitting those between an English ale yeast and some other clean strain. First time making cider, should be fun.

Got the vanilla stout bottled, including a liter in a Tired Hands growler ;), cold crashing more brett to send out, and now have 9 cases of beer in the 'warm room' aka bedroom closet. Good beer day here!

Also put myself down for 20 gallons of fresh pressed cider for this Sunday. New cidery (is that the right term?) in Asheville is hosting the homebrew club there for pressing. I've been meaning to join as $20 comes with a lot of cool events like this one where the first 5 gallons is on the club for members. Should be $1-$1.50 a gallon after that. Doing 6 gallons wild, 4 are going in the fridge to drink, and then doing two 5 gallon batches for a friend with Celiac's. Probably splitting those between an English ale yeast and some other clean strain. First time making cider, should be fun

Screw that she won't brew the first batch with those bad boys! Haha, she can use my keggles. I still have to go pick up the 3rd blingmann on Thursday too.

Add some cran to the wild batch you won't regret it.

I love notty for cider but everyone is different. My next cider adventure will be a dry hop I think.

Also put myself down for 20 gallons of fresh pressed cider for this Sunday. New cidery (is that the right term?) in Asheville is hosting the homebrew club there for pressing. I've been meaning to join as $20 comes with a lot of cool events like this one where the first 5 gallons is on the club for members. Should be $1-$1.50 a gallon after that. Doing 6 gallons wild, 4 are going in the fridge to drink, and then doing two 5 gallon batches for a friend with Celiac's. Probably splitting those between an English ale yeast and some other clean strain. First time making cider, should be fun.

Ill be picking up another 10 gallons from local cidery on next press so I can do half with a brett strain. Dropped off my carboys this morning :ban:

Ill be picking up another 10 gallons from local cidery on next press so I can do half with a brett strain. Dropped off my carboys this morning :ban:

Got 3 gallons going this weekend. Planning to split either 2 or 3 ways. Definitely dry hopping at least one split. Another will get blackberries and oak. Maybe another plain, or try two different dry hops...Decisions, decisions...

Got 3 gallons going this weekend. Planning to split either 2 or 3 ways. Definitely dry hopping at least one split. Another will get blackberries and oak. Maybe another plain, or try two different dry hops...Decisions, decisions...

I was thinking about oak in some as well maybe with a little vanilla. Id like to find a source for some hot cinnamon without the fake candylike taste

Long Trail IPA. Meh it's alright... not hoppy enough for me. It's more of what I'd call a Pale Ale, but I'm a hop-lunatic so that's probably me and not them.

Marks schwarzBEEr. Sorry my pils glasses are packed up Mark. Figured a stemless glass would do it justice.

20131028_165403_zpsa8f597ad.jpg

Very tastey! I haven't had a schwarzbier in awhile, so very smooth, great representation.

:)

Figured you were busy with brewery stuff today, as quiet as you were!

First bottle of my green tea kombucha project. I gotta say closest to a bullseye on a first shot than Ive ever come. Its absolutely delicious.(4%) Awesome tartness and nice depth of flavor and fairly dry. The carb is very effervescent like a sparkling wine would be. Was planning on brewing Skeeter today but I think Im starting more bucha instead :ban:

ForumRunner_20131028_171846.jpg

Have to nourish my liver before I bottle these Berliners...finally.

What'd you make for a Berliner?

I know it's the wrong time of year to be brewing them, but with the fresh harvest wheat malted here I've been itching to do a ten gallon batch with various treatments. Going to sour with lacto instead of sour mash. Probably pitch 3942 and C2 brett I've been using in them. Rambutan are kind spendy, but itching to know what those will taste like in a beer. Might do Rambutam alone, Rambutan & Crysanthemum, Persimmon, Jackfruit, and Blueberry. Of course that will be over $100 in 3 gallon fermentors so it might not happen.

Drinking my Blackberry Berliner now, trying not to consume too much alcohol before I get this cereal mash & step mash done.

I know it's the wrong time of year to be brewing them, but with the fresh harvest wheat malted here I've been itching to do a ten gallon batch with various treatments. Going to sour with lacto instead of sour mash. Probably pitch 3942 and C2 brett I've been using in them. Rambutan are kind spendy, but itching to know what those will taste like in a beer. Might do Rambutam alone, Rambutan & Crysanthemum, Persimmon, Jackfruit, and Blueberry. Of course that will be over $100 in 3 gallon fermentors so it might not happen.

Drinking my Blackberry Berliner now, trying not to consume too much alcohol before I get this cereal mash & step mash done.

Geeeeeeze. That'd be a beautiful beer, but hell man. Imagine what you'd have to charge for that at the brewery?

Gabe's Green Shredder Weisse recipe without the the brett strain as it was on the way as I was making it.
Then split the recipe into 2-3 gallon batches. One was sweet/sour local cherries as well as a blueberry. They are literally tasting like a war head candy after the 4 day sour with a heat wrap. I am digging it. Plus the step mash was actually pretty fun!

Geeeeeeze. That'd be a beautiful beer, but hell man. Imagine what you'd have to charge for that at the brewery?

$6 pints, $4 8oz is what I'm planning for 'specialty' beers aka beers with stuff in them. Plain version and other session beers for $4.

We'll be the first place in TN or at least the first place east of Nashville with a glass sprayer, I'm hoping that awes the locals. ;) Closest brewery charges $3.50 for pints. There's a chain pizza place that's very popular and charges $6 for French Broad (it's a brewery, not your sister) so I think I'm ok on pricing.

I hadn't really heard of Rambutan until I saw em at the asian market where we buy most of our produce. I thought they were a weird form a lychee, and appear to be related. I might have to pick some up, since lychee is so delicious.

Drinking my 3724 Saison.

I hadn't really heard of Rambutan until I saw em at the asian market where we buy most of our produce. I thought they were a weird form a lychee, and appear to be related. I might have to pick some up, since lychee is so delicious.

Drinking my 3724 Saison.

I found them underwhelming at first and now I can't get enough of them.

I've been too scared to buy a jackfruit yet. $1.49 lb here puts them around $40. Between that and cutting them up, it's rather intimidating. Sounds like the best fruit ever, especially in beer. Have you tried it?

Gabe are you going to bake any bread to serve with your beers? Bread looks great on a flight plank

I'm drinking and grilling, watching ozzy herding the goats into the shed, letting them out, then doing again. He's got a sick sense of humor that dog.

It is out of season but since I am loaded up with yeast and river bend malts, I might as well fire up a batch.

I will have to get a pm to you to identify your chicken scratch on the vial labels.. But your handwriting on the shipping label is pretty damn good I must say!

I must say Jack fruit is one fruit I have never come across before. I will have to search that one out for consumption.

Back