Cheap source for stainless material to make false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCBrew

Reaction score
Anyone know of a cheap place to get some perforated stainless? I want to make a false bottom for my boil kettle and don't want to spend a ton.

Thanks

Short answer. No.

Longer answer. I'm planning on buying a false bottom in the next few months. I can't stomach paying $90 for a decent false bottom, so I'm considering buying a sheet of SS perf stock for $200+ and cutting it into about 15 false bottoms and selling off the excess for cheap.

I don't particularly want to do that, but I ain't paying $90 for a 15" circle of metal...it's against my religion.

I share your sentiment.

A +10 on that one. Plasma cut round, dress the edge to stainless bright, shear down the middle, Tig tack a stainless piano hinge then add four 10-24 stainless screw legs for support. On line there are companies that sell perforated shett in different hole sizes, the more you make the faster you will
produce them.

Hit up all the local welding shops and see if someone has a leftover piece from a past job. I found some that way and had them make a 15" hinged one for $45. Usually the material has been paid for long ago so they don't mind just letting it go cheap.

Hit up all the local welding shops and see if someone has a leftover piece from a past job. I found some that way and had them make a 15" hinged one for $45. Usually the material has been paid for long ago so they don't mind just letting it go cheap.

Already paid for yes, letting it go cheap no, not in my area. My stainless friend has no screen material only deals in marine hand railings and custom walk in broken parts repairs. Even big diesel water/oil inner coolers off Coast Guard island less than a mile away. He said so far their checks are good no Federal IOU's.

BINGO, that's the company I had in mind but lost in my old Gateway as it had no slot for the harddrive to backup and it had a total HD failure.
I purchased from them in the past and had a friend shear a sheet into sections then duct taped together on the bottom side, top side double back taped a centering disk for the plasma nozzle to follow and cut. Cleaned up the edge on the belt sander and Tig welded the piano hinge on the bottom with four stud supports. Thanks for posting that company, i'll order more in the future.

Back