Growing A Yeast Bank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevirus

Reaction score
I have not been able to find a step by step DIY thread about growing a yeast bank from scratch. I found the thread Guid to Making a Frozen Yeast Bank yet from this I had no idea where to start to grow and reproduce and concentrate the yeast.

Just wondering if you guys know of any resources for growing yeast since I now have the storing part bookmarked :eek:

Are you talking about working the yeast back up into a pitchable volume? To me, "growing a yeast bank" just means collecting more strains.

I did this for a while but then found i wasn't brewing with enough warning to get to a pitchable volume. But basically you just grow a serious of starters preferably on a stir plate. from a slant I would start with 50ml and then double the wort volume about every 48 hours. So in my case I'd go 50ml -> 100ml -> 250ml -> 1000ml then either pitch or go to 2L depending on the batch gravity.

Back